Change?

It was dark when they returned home, the two of them entering the Nara compound together since, he wouldn't admit it openly but, he was worried about Naruto. Even though he stole a kiss from his best friend, he hoped they could just move past it. They went straight up to the brunet's room cautiously when they stepped foot inside the house, not wanting to wake up the Nara couple. "Do you want to me to sleep on the floor?" Shikamaru asked, not facing his best friend as he took out clothes that were suitable for bed.

"Of course not, why-"

"Alright then, you can shower first, I'll take out your clothes for you."

"Okay..." without any complaints, Naruto turned and made his way into the bathroom, not understanding his best friend's odd behaviour. It didn't take him long to shower, stepping out in his towel soon after. Shikamaru barely gave him a glance, walking past the blond as he went to change into the clothes his best friend set out for him. Why was Shikamaru giving him the cold shoulder? Did he do something wrong? Sighing, Naruto slipped into bed, pushing his back against the wall as he closed his eyes, waiting for his best friend to come out; he didn't want to face the brunet directly, not knowing what to say to fix whatever he had done. It wasn't long before the brunet left the bathroom and got dressed, Naruto feeling the sudden dip as the brunet got into bed beside him.

"I'm sorry" Shikamaru mumbled, turning onto his side to face the sleeping boy next to him, reaching over to cup his whiskered cheek before he continued "I'm sorry" he repeated, gently rubbing his thumb against his best friend's cheek. "I promised myself that I'd never do something like that to you- you fell in love with Sasuke, so I vowed to stay by your side and protect you, instead of pursuing you, yet..." the brunet paused, taking in a deep breath "I forced myself upon you when you were in such a vulnerable state, Naruto- I- I don't deserve you, I'm so sorry" he finished, before he felt himself tearing up, pulling his hand away from his best friend's face; he didn't have the courage to say those words when the blond was actually awake to hear him. What he didn't expect though, was to feel two arms wrap around his shoulders, hugging him tightly.

Naruto was beyond shocked as he reached out to comfort his best friend, Shikamaru crying was a rare- very rare occurrence, so Naruto knew that he regretted kissing him like that "Shikamaru, I would've pushed you away if that was the case, you didn't force me to do anything, I kissed you back- although I may not return your feelings exactly, I did let you kiss me; I trust you with everything and anything, if I showed any sign of not liking where things were going, I know you would've pulled away" the blond pulled back slightly and removed his arms from around the brunet's shoulders, cupping his cheeks instead.

"If you truly love me" he paused, smiling before he leaned forward "then I'm willing to take that chance."