Metra

The crowd of Techno Trolldum cheered at the DJ on stage. A little Red hued Techno Troll was playing a complicated song on her set. She didn't look at the audience but had a smile on her face. After a few more songs, the DJ was done. King Trollex swam onto the stage.

"Thank you Metra and Betty!" He yelled to the girl and her beat drop Button, Betty, who was light pink. "Let's hear it for the Princess of the Techno Trolls, Metra!" He cried to the audience.

The young girl swam next to her father. She looked at the audience and her face fell. She speedily swam off.

The audience, who had been loudly cheering for her, kept on cheering. Trollex introduced another DJ as he swam after Metra.

"Metra!" He cried.

"Uh, Trollex? Metra can't hear you." Trollex's beat drop button Beat said.

"Oh yeah." The king responded. Even after all this time, he forgot Metra was deaf. When Metra was born, it had been the best moment of Trollex's life. Even after he, and his wife Pitch, learned Metra was deft, they loved her. Metra had learned sign language, how to read lips, talk, and play music. Betty, her beat Button, glowed to show Metra the beat when she played. 

He finally found Metra and Betty in Metra's room. She was flopped on her bed looking miserable.

Trollex picked his daughter up and signed and spoke at the same time.

"Why'd you swim off sweetie?"

"I can't hear them. I can't hear anyone's cheering. How can I rule the Techno Trolls if I can't hear them." Metra asked, talking and signing.

"Everyone understands and can speak to you Sweetie." Trollex crooned. It was true. Every Troll school in every Troll music kingdom taught sign language. Hey, Metra wasn't the only deaf Troll you know. There were also blind Trolls, Autistic Trolls, Trolls with wheelchairs, and more.

"I know." Metra said. "I miss Mommy." She said a few minutes later.

"I do too." Metra's Mother, Trollex's wife, and Queen of the Techno Trolls, Pitch, had died a few years ago. Pitch was really athletic and held all the sports records in Trolldum. Sadly, upon beating the depth record for the 6th time, she caught depth sickness and had died. She had said "At least I beat my record!" Queen Pitch had been very compassionate and tough.

Trollex started to sing a little song. The only thing that had ever gotten him down about Metra not being able to hear was that she could never hear him sing.

Betty and Beat lit up with the beat of the song. Metra, recognizing the beat, started singing along. Eventually she felt better.

"Time for me and Beat to play." He said to Metra and Betty. The two swam to be in the audience as the King and Beat went to the stage.