5-tainted pb&j

After Julie calls me to tell me the exciting news, that she is no longer moving, she invites me to sleep over

After Julie calls me to tell me the exciting news, that she is no longer moving, she invites me to sleep over. The first thing I do is go to get a midnight snack for us. A classic PB&J while she picks the movie. As i'm walking into the kitchen a certain dead lead singer scares me.

"Ah! Stop doing that!" I ask. He just stands there looking at all of the food in Julie's fridge.

"Uh are you okay Luke? You look kind of sad."

"I can't eat. I want to so bad. Those cupcakes look amazing." He explains while maintaining eye contact with the cupcakes.

"Uh, okay." I say. I grab the peanut butter and automatically closing the fridge door, which goes straight through Luke.

"Hey! Do you know how long that took me?" He asks me. He walks closer to me and stares at me.

"Nice sweatshirt by the way. Did you know it's limited addition?" He asks. Only if he knew.

"Uh-ya. Is it yours?" I ask. He nods.

"Y-Yeah. B-but I mean it looks better on you- so you can uh... keep it." He says looking back over at the fridge.

"Sorry, I'll open it for you again if you want. I just don't want to waste the Molina's power..." I apologize. He nods his head.

"It's fine. Because that's what I wanted to talk to you about." He tells me. I stop opening the peanut butter and stare at him.

"The power usage?" Luke gets closer to me.

"No. The power that you and Julie have." I look at him quizzically. "Your voice. And your guitar playing. Dude you are a human wrecking ball all by yourself."

"So you came here to stare at food and give me a pep talk?" Luke rolls his eyes playfully.

"No silly. What i'm saying is your voice is amazing. You and Julie have the power to move people, and yet you aren't. You can knock them off of there feet. And there is no way in the world your teacher wouldn't let Julie back into your school music program if she heard you play like that!" I open the jelly and spread it across the toast. He is very enthusiastic about this.

"We already asked her. She said no, not until next semester. Thanks for the reminder." He turns away from me.

"And plus-" I add "I'm in another music group. Singing with Julie in front of people would be like- cheating on them."

"That was your first mistake. Asking." I give him a look. He sits up in the counter where his chain clings against the marble. His hands full of rings make a cling sound against the sink.

"Sunset Curve booked gigs by doing. We went into ambush mode. We played in front of clubs. We played in back of clubs. We even played book clubs." I turn away from my disaster of a sandwich and look at him.

"Are you suggesting I play a book club? That would be sick." I say sarcastically. I imagine a group of teen boys in leather jackets playing in the living room of an old lady's house.

"Yeah. Uh- we didn't get many gigs out of that one, but they did have some pretty gnarly snacks." Does he hear what he's saying? He notices how confused I am and continues to talk.

"I'm just saying, don't ask for permission." It sounds like he's done until his voice gets louder and he swings his foot at me.

"Swing that wrecking ball of talent at your teachers head, and smash the stupid rules right outta their brains!" He explains hopping off of the counter.

"This isn't a club and I don't like seeing blood, so no thanks." I smirk at him. He just smiles brightly. I walk over to the third cabinet and open it.

"See you're funny. But if you want to get something accomplished, you have to do!" He says putting his head through the door. I just laugh.

"Thanks for being so passionate, but I'm already in a musical group."He jumps of the counter and follows me to the fridge.

"Sorry. I just really want other musical artists to succeed! Especially my new alive friends, who have some amazing talent." He says excitedly. I don't notice that he's super close to me and I walk through him.

"Also, how could I touch you earlier, and now I'm walking through you?" He shrugs.

Luke chuckles lightly. "I don't know, but if you wanna get back into music, then you gotta go for it! Reach for the stars!" He says lowering his face to be inches from mine. I turn my head back to my snacks quickly.

"Learn from me. Your tainted hotdog could be right around the corner." I drop the sandwich I was about to take a big night of. Luke just smirks.

"What would we even sing?" I ask. Luke is ready for this question because he pulls out a ripped note book page.

"Thought you'd say that." He says softly. I stare into his beautiful eyes. "It's called 'bright'. It's a Sunset Curve song I wrote that we never got to record." He says handing me the old paper. I open it up slowly to
see some barley legible hand writing.

"But it's perfect for your range. Check out the choirs for a second. If Julie adds a little bit of piano, I'm telling you..." Like says getting ready to sing.

"We will rise,
through the night,
You and I
we will fight to shine together
Bright Forever." This is when I join in.

"And rise through the night
You and I
We will fight to shine together"

"You go up high." Luke says.

"Bright forever!"

"Yes! You killed it!" Luke laughs. I laugh too. I send him a huge smile. A genuine smile.

Luke's eyes never leave the girl.

Julie is actually around the corner. Watching her best friend smile again. All because of a cute ghost.

"Thank you so much Luke. I can't wait to show Julie." I say. He just sends me a dorky smile.

Luke thinks she is absolutely amazing. Her voice takes his breath away. He stares at her and bites his lip. When she walked through him, he felt something. He felt feelings that he hadn't felt in 25 years.

I stand there, looking up at Luke. He bites his lip and looks at me. If I could touch him, we could kiss. I just laugh awkwardly.

"That was amazing!" Another voice says entering the room.

•••