2: Classes

By the next morning, the entire school was aware that Rosie was autistic, some understood more than others.

The school had gotten used to Rosie's behaviors during the first month of school, and most of the students loved Rosie.

Umbridge was guest teaching the Defense Against the Dark Arts today as it was a full moon.

"Good morning class, there will be no talking today, only answering questions," Umbridge said in a tone that Rosie didn't like. Fred could tell Rosie was uncomfortable. He took her hand and rubbed his thumb over the back of it.

Rosie calmed down a little, and noticed her reflection in the jar of ink. She squeaked happily and smiled at the jar.

"Miss Lupin, is there something funny?" Umbridge asked.

Rosie just looked up at the teacher, her classmates were used to Rosie's squeaks and happy noises, or tics that she has. Rosie stayed quiet, not feeling comfortable to talk to this toad lady.

"You look like a frog," Rosie said giggling, before looking back at the jar, making her happy flappys.

"Detention, Miss Lupin," Delores Umbridge said before students started arguing.

"You can't give her detention, she didn't know that was hurtful!" George yelled, regretting it after Rosie put her hands over her ears.

Fred hugged her and calmed her down.

"Why should I not?" Umbridge asked with her high pitched giggle.

"She's autistic, she doesn't understand that some things are hurtful," Angelina said quietly.

Umbridge shrugged and told Fred to escort her to Dumbledore with a note she had written about "Rosie's awful behavior."

Fred walked Rosie to Dumbledore's office and gave him the note. Dumbledore nodded, smiling at the wide eyed, girl watching his Phoenix.

She was talking to the bird and giggling.

"Mr. Weasley, thank you for looking out for Rosie, I've known her since she was a baby, and she's a very sweet girl," Dumbledore told Fred, who was watching Rosie with a smile.

"I believe you have a crush, Mr. Weasley," Dumbledore smiled.

"Oh, um," Fred stuttered trying to find what to say.

"No worries boy, from what I can tell, Rosie might have a crush on you. Now I believe you two have magical creatures? Get going," Dumbledore joked and motioned for the door.

"Rosie, come on, we have to go to class," Fred held out his hand.

Rosie took his hand and looked up at Fred, "is it with the frog lady?"

"No, you get to meet Hagrid! He has lots of magical pets," Fred smiled and led her out of the room.

Dumbledore smiled at the two. They had a connection, something that Rosie could feel.

Fred walked Rosie to the place where Hagrid held class.

Rosie caught a glimpse of the Hippogriff and squeaked.

"Buckbeak," Rosie smiled at the Hippogriff.

"What was that, Rosie?" Hagrid asked.

"Buckbeak," Rosie smiled pointing to the Hippogriff.

"How do y'a know his name?" Hagrid asked confused.

"He told me," Rosie giggled and walked up to Buckbeak.

Hagrid tried to stop the girl before Buckbeak got defensive, but before he could get words out, she was petting the Hippogriff and giggling.

He had class while Rosie sat with Buckbeak, until Harry had a turn. Rosie went back to Fred. Harry flew a lap around Hogwarts and Draco decided Buckbeak wasn't dangerous.

"You're scaring him!" Rosie yelled at Draco who was marching up the the animal.

Draco stopped and looked at Rosie, who was wide eyed.

He looked between Rosie and Fred, who shook his head vigorously to tell Draco not to do it.

Draco backed away and grumbled about the "bloody chicken."

After magical creatures, the group had lunch. Rosie sat where she wanted and the group of friends gathered around her.

Rosie ate her normal lunch and drank her pumpkin juice. She was quite content about the cookies that were served today.

"Your father said only one cookie, Rosie," Snape said when Rosie picked up a second cookie. Rosie pouted and put it down.

"Can I go see dad?" Rosie asked, looking right past Snape at the wall.

Snape nodded and Rosie took his arm.

"Bear come with us," Rosie looked at Fred, who was in the middle of eating a cookie.

Fred shoved the cookie in his mouth and got up, following the two. Snape knew of Rosie's ability to talk to animals and her intelligence.

Snape knocked on the door to Remus's office with a special knock. Remus opened the door and smiled at his daughter.

"Hello love," Remus hugged her.

"Frog lady is mean," Rosie said looking at a feather on a quill and petting the feather.

"She gave Rosie detention for telling her she looked like a frog," Fred smiled at Rosie who giggled at herself.

Remus watched Fred looking at Rosie with a look that he knew well. Fred had a crush on Rosie. And from what he remembers about Rosie's last crush on a celebrity, Rosie had a crush on Fred.

"Dumbledore revoked the detention and had a meeting with the staff during lunch," Snape said, "he explained that Rosie says whatever she thinks sometimes."

"Thank you," Remus thanked Snape for watching over Rosie during the full moon.

Rosie hugged her dad, before the three left. She was worried about him, but she couldn't figure out the emotion she felt. She knew what happy and sad felt like.

Rosie began to space out during potions, Snape recognized that Rosie was spaced out and kept an eye on her. Fred began to notice her new behavior as he wrote notes.

He looked up to Snape and Snape nodded for them to go in the hall.

Fred got Rosie to walk with him and they sat on the floor together. Fred had learned some sign language during their hallway sittings. Rosie loved teaching him and giggled when he was confused or accidentally signed the wrong word.

——————————————

The rest of Rosie's 5th year went great. She made friends, who didn't scare her or thought she was weird. Her dad and Tonks got married, and she was staying with the Order and the Weasley's at Grimmauld Place. Her OWLs were all O's, making her mum and dad proud, and Rosie got two chocolate frogs instead of one.