Chapter Four 09

The trial concluded with Gundham being declared as the blackened.

"Ugh... It would be bad if I bit my tongue again so I'll speak slowly..." Monokuma declared, "Based on the results... you guys were correct once again! Wow! That's four in a row," The bear cheered.

"That's right! The one who killed the robotic Nekomaru in the amazing Funhouse is... Gundham Tanaka!"

"Yay! I said all of that without biting my tongue!"

Nagito sighed impatiently, "Let's just get this over with and start the execution already."

"Hold on," Hajime halted, "the trial may be over but that doesn't mean the incident is over..." The ahoge boy turned to look at the animal breeder.

I spaced out during the entire conversation until Gundham stated something that struck a chord within me.

"What's the point of living if you're just going to wait until you die?" Gundham's voice boomed over the entire trial room, "There's nothing courageous about that! That is abandonment! A mere feeling of resignation!"

...Huh?

"Ever since we were locked inside that building, everyone has been dominated by that feeling of abandonment," He continued, "However... nothing is born from resignation. That is simply a reason to give up."

"Giving up on life... that's an insult to life itself!"

"Have you fools ever heard of the term 'dog eat dog'?"

"In zoology, cannibalism is a commonly observed phenomenon... Many creatures at some point in their life span engage in cannibalism."

"That is what it means to live!" Gundham exclaimed, "If you say killing for the sake of living is 'evil', then what do you call giving up on life itself?!"

"If a world considers that as justice, then I fill fight that world with every last fiber of my being!"

"Giving up on life and accepting death is a blasphemy towards life!"

"That is the arrogance of Humanity!"

"A-Are you saying this to justify for what you did?!" Akane glared at Gundham as if she wanted to punch him right then and there.

"But it sounds like Nekomaru felt the same... that's why they fought, right?" Nagito pointed out.

"That man... had the courage to die when he needed to die... That's why he challenged me to a battle..." Gundham replied, "Regardless, I do not want to force my values upon you fools."

"I... have betrayed you all. That is the absolute truth."

"That belief... is why you committed crime..." Chiaki looked at the ground, solemnly.

"Gundham... don't tell me you... You didn't sacrifice yourself for our sake, did you?" Hajime looked at Gundham in realization.

"Hmph... I can't believe you would ask such a foolish question, " Gundham scoffed.

He's lying...

"Just who do you think I am?! I am Gundham Tanaka! History's greatest monster!" Gundham raised his hands and declared, "My cursed existence is feared by all mankind! There's no way I'd sacrifice myself for you fools!"

Please... stop lying...

"Is... that it..?" Hajime asked, unsure, "Then... I'll just leave it at that..."

"Now then, let us stop with all this nonsense and let the fun begin!" Gundham cheered, "Monokuma, let us begin!" Gundham turned to look at the bear who was comfortably sitting on his throne.