Chapter 171: Betrayal

Rhatheth, Daggerfall,

Three Minutes Earlier.

A few orcs from Ragelock's tribe patrolled the village's perimeter alongside Rhatheth's orcs while engaging in animated chatter. The groups argued over whether the negotiations' outcome would be war or not and how large the potential conflict could get. However, the orcs' boisterous arguments were unceremoniously cut short by a massive explosion that echoed out from the village's center.

Rhatheth's orcs paled as they collectively turned to see a massive column of smoke rise from the village center. Frantic shouts exploded throughout the village as the orcs made to rush to the village center.

Schlick! Schlick!

However, at this exact moment, dozens of orcs cried out in pain and disbelief as they were either ran through or decapitated by their Ragelock brothers. One such orc spun around and glared at the Ragelock tribesman who had backstabbed him.

"Why!? What are you doing!?" The injured orc questioned with reluctant rage burning in his eyes. Although they had suspected this meeting might be a trap, they never thought it would be their fellow orcs who would betray them.

The Ragelock tribesman did not say a word in reply. He instead brandished his ax above his head and struck at the injured orc. The injured orc cried out and hastily crossed his arms over his head.

Thud!

The ax heavily impacted against the orc's arms. The injured orc's right arm was cut clean off while the blade buried itself halfway through the left. The orc, already accepting its demise, glared at the traitor with red eyes. "You'll pay for this!"

BAM!

The injured orc suddenly kicked out and successfully drove his foot into the traitor's stomach. The traitor blanched and doubled over as the air was knocked out of his lungs. Rather than use the opportunity to escape, the injured orc fished out a skullbone horn from his belt. He weakly placed the horn against his lips and heavily blew on it.

Vrwoooo!

The horn blared across the village, powerful, mournful, and powered by an unrelenting rage. As if answering this one horn's call, several horns wailed over the town, sending a message only the Rhatheth orcs understood.

The orc who started the call let out a weak, triumphant grin as he watched the traitor rush at him with reddened, rage-filled eyes. He laughed as the traitor's ax descended on his head. "See You Soon!"

Crack!

"Schcuck!" The traitor cursed as he pulled out his ax from the crushed skull. He glared at the village, wondering what the message was. He could not shake off the feeling that something was wrong. The Rhatheth orc's first instinct when ambushed was not to fight back in anger but buy enough time to blow that bugle. If he did not know better, he would have thought the orc was expecting the ambush and was given clear instructions on what to do.

Unfortunately for the traitor, it turned out his instincts were on point.

Within the village, the Rhatheth orcs stopped on their way to inspect the explosion. The Rhatheth orcs cast unwilling, guilt-filled gazes toward the village center but then formed small groups of three to five and charged out of the village.

These groups slaughtered their way out of the village, not even hesitating when faced with the Ragelock clan members.

Unfortunately for the Ragelock clan, most of their clan members were hidden in an elephant grass field a few hundred meters from the village. This had been the 'agreement' with Rhatheth, as 'insurance' against a possible dwarven ambush. Of course, recent events proved this to be false. These Ragelock 'insurance' was the real ambush force.