Chapter 29: The Circle

Alure's Crypt.

9:23 p.m. 16th Peniel 1091.

Boom!

"Uaak!" Syèl cried out in pain as he crashed into one of Alure's many statues. He grimaced as he clutched his ribs and stumbled to his feet, blood seeping from gaping wounds on his arms and face. A quick scan of his Health Bar left him pale as he realized his HP had dropped to less than 1000 points. One strike from that woman had wiped out over 90% of his entire HP!

Syèl cursed and looked around, searching for his partner. Luckily, he found Shokō slumped against a wall, unconscious. Judging from the rapid rise and fall of her chest, she was still among the living, but with the rate at which she was losing blood, she would soon join the dead.

Syèl frowned and roared at the woman floating over her coffin. "Wake up already!" Attracted by his shout, the woman's eyes snapped to the halben. Syèl quickly dove out of the way, and his eyes narrowed as he watched the statue behind him explode into dust. The halben cursed as he could neither see nor comprehend the attack. It was not a blast of air or something with physical mass.

It seemed more like a devastating force instantaneously materialized around whatever Alure looked at and acted on it.

Syèl panicked as he watched debris from the explosion land dangerously close to Shokō, with a few particles grazing her arm. He realized she was utterly helpless in her state, and would most certainly perish if she took an attack from Alure.

Syèl left his hiding spot with grim determination in his eyes and stood at the center of the room. Alure turned to him, blackened eyes filled with malice.

"I don't particularly take pride in this, but..." Syèl dashed forward and fixed his gaze on Alure's eyes.

In response, Alure let out a shrill cry and blinked.

'I was waiting for that!' Syèl dropped to his knees and bent backward, so the back of his head was only an inch away from the ground. The force of his initial sprint carried him along the ground like he was participating in an advanced game of limbo.

Whoosh!

Syèl winced as wind escaping a mini explosion above him slammed down against him. However, because of his momentum, the bulk of the wind force first struck the ground and then pushed him from behind, which resulted in the halben spinning forward like a spinning top.

Alure, shocked by the unconventional method of escape, paused for a moment, unable to process how she should respond to that.

That momentary pause was all Syèl needed.

"Too late... Now wake up!" Syèl cried as he shot off the ground, stretched out his leg and kicked her right under the chin, using the momentum from her own attack to power his strike.

The force caused Alure to bite her tongue as she was launched into the air, but the halben was not through with her. Once he landed, Syèl jumped again, spun around, and kicked her in the chest, which sent her crashing to the earth.

Alure fell to her knees and looked up to see Syèl looming over her. He grabbed her by her robe before she could blink and lifted her till their faces were only inches apart. "Sorry about this."

SLAP!

Alure eyes widened in shock from the blow, but she had no time to process it as he soon repeated it. SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP! SLAP!

Syèl unleashed an ultra-super slap combo born from the frustration of being weak and borderline insanity. Helpless against the hits, Alure's face was sent flying in all directions. Amidst the blows, life slowly returned to her eyes.