Chapter Twenty-Seven

"The King Alpha is setting up the main army to meet here," Cate explained, raising her hand over the surface of the water to make her own map similar to the one Roman kept in his King's Corner. Within the center of three of the human villages was a large opening where the six packs he had mentioned before would converge before spreading out to take out the human villages, including my own. "The packs will be Trinity of course, along with the Red Moon, Midnight, Polaris, Moonstone, and Crescent packs."

"What's our plan, then?" I asked uncertainly. I glanced at my hand as though not convinced I had actually transformed into a wolf not long before this discussion.

"Our primary plan is for you to get to the King Alpha, but we'll also need to protect the villages. He'll send waves and it will start at any time. We may be running late as it is," Cynthia proceeded to explain with her own frown. "There are more wolves joining us now; Oracles from other areas and Rogues beyond that. Because we will be greatly outnumbered, I'll gift them with temporary intuition. They'll be able to foresee attacks and use this to their advantage."

"I don't want anyone to be hurt on either side," I stated quickly, a concern growing within me. Was there really going to be a battle, not just between wolves and humans but also between the wolves themselves?

"This is a war. It's inevitable," Cate answered with a shrug. "We'll push forward with our group. Selene and I will be with you to protect you. If there's no resistance, no order for attack, then we'll just stroll right in to see the King Alpha. But you can see how this won't seem likely..."

"They'll be guarding Roman?" I was looking at the image of the packs on the surface of the water thoughtfully. Roman wouldn't be in any danger, being that he was immortal, but maybe not everyone knew this.

"They won't allow you through because of what you are. His mate," Cynthia confirmed solemnly, "You've changed his mind once already. They won't want it to happen again. It'll be the Alphas and Lunas you'll have to watch for once we get through the actual packs. They have already shown an unwillingness to follow you as Queen Luna. You may have to force their hands."

I was silent for a moment, thinking. Six packs would be there. We had fifteen wolves, probably more once the other Oracles and Rogues showed, but I knew it would be nothing to the packs waiting to attack. On the Wolf Moon, there had been hundreds of wolves there, all immersed in their hatred of humankind. Even if half of those would show within the other packs, it was possibly over a thousand wolves along with a handful of powerful leaders. I had strained just to stop the Trinity pack from harming me... what could I do with six packs?

"We'll be with you," Cate repeated when she seemed to notice my hesitation. "We may be outnumbered in bodies, but they'll be outpowered. You just focus on reaching the King Alpha and doing what you must to stop this war in its tracks, alright?"

I sighed. Even now, I wasn't sure what they expected of me. Even if I reach Roman, how was I supposed to stop any of this? Would I really be able to kill him, if the time came?

"Time's passing. We must go," Cynthia said, reaching to place her hand on my shoulder. "The wolves are gathered just outside the cave. You must address them as Queen Luna, give them direction, and then lead." My mouth opened immediately in surprise before I groaned.

"Why can't you just speak to them? You're the Mother," I complained unhappily. Cynthia only smiled gently. I turned to glare at Cate who had already reached for her lance easily. She paused when spotting me looking at her intently.

"Ew, I don't speak to mortals. It's all you, Arty," Cate waved her hand dismissively. I sighed loudly. Right, they only would use their voice around Oracles. With Rogues around, Cate would become her typical mysterious self and... I looked to Cynthia... I supposed I've never even seen her around other living beings besides the Oracles, so who knew how she'd behave herself.