Chapter Twenty-Five

I was in a prison cell. As I sat in the corner with my knees to my chest, holding myself in deep thought, I was reminded of the cell I had been held in the night of the Wolf Moon. This place was different. The door wasn't made of bars, but rather solid steel. There was a barred window just above my own eye level and a smaller opening on the bottom for things like food to be handed to me.

At the top of one wall was a small squared opening, too small for even a child to get through, that allowed in a small ray of daylight. There was also a bed, however uncomfortable it may be, and in one corner a toilet and small sink. The cell itself was fairly cleaned, with no jagged rough edges in corners.

I supposed there would be a difference in how humans were imprisoned versus wolves. It was deadly quiet. I had already reached out, ever so carefully, to check the surroundings beyond the prison. The village wasn't close and there weren't even any wolves nearby to guard me.

Roman was being smart. Solitary was a good idea, being that he knew of my abilities. I wouldn't be able to call on someone to free me. And with how the entire cell was built, I knew I wouldn't have the strength to break myself out. All I could do was wait.

Despite the fact that I wasn't in immediate danger any longer, I couldn't help but feel the concern pulsing throughout me. I clenched my hands into fists, grinding my teeth together, and I wondered if Diana was still alive. Her blood was already dried on my legs and her screams of pain still echoed in my mind. She hadn't deserved that.

I looked to my hand absently, her blood almost darkened to black in the shadows. I shouldn't have given something as dangerous as a silver blade to a child. First Cynthia and now Diana... people who showed nothing but kindness to me and paid the price for it.

At some point during the day, someone brought me food and water, but left without a word. I wondered if it was Roman himself, but I didn't dare drop that wall within me to check. After some more time passed, I finally gave in to my undaunted hunger and then used the sink to begin trying to clean my skin of the blood covering it.

When my mind couldn't spin around the same thoughts and concerns any more than it already had, I finally slipped into a troubled sleep.

"Were you really the one who hurt Diana?" A voice jolted me upright on the steel bed in the night. My heart was immediately racing as I found Roman there, on one knee, beside the bed within the prison cell.

"Yes," I lied, my voice cracking from sleep.

With him suddenly so near me, I felt flushed with surprised heat. It'd been awhile since I'd been able to see him so clearly, much less smell that intoxicating scent so heavily. I could feel a hint of anger stretching within him, but he was holding it back with difficulty.

"You lied," He stated and I tensed with further surprise. I could feel him clearly which meant he could feel me as well. I immediately tried to build the wall that must've fallen when I fell asleep, but his beast reached into me dominatingly, tearing it down.

"Don't," I pleaded, "Just... it was me. Just accept it was me."

"Who did it?" He ignored my plea.

"Roman," I reached for him and he immediately gripped my wrists in his hands, holding me back firmly. His touch was like a flame in the night during a long cold winter. My heart was in my throat.

"I won't let you take the blame for someone else's mistake," Roman said to me, his features softening ever so slightly before he tensed further to prevent himself from being distracted from what it was he felt he needed to do. "Who was it? A human?"

"Please," I tried to build that wall again, but with his grip on me our connection remained entirely open. He couldn't hide anything from me and I couldn't hide anything from him.