Chapter Twenty-Four

Diana shifted before me, her body forming into her more familiar presence. She stood warily before me, as though afraid I might run away. My eyes slid to her stomach. She was showing much more unmistakably now. At this point, I was certain the entire pack would know of her condition. They probably would not enjoy the fact that she had traveled all the way to my village by herself.

"Queen Luna," She greeted me, much too formally in my opinion.

"I'm not the Queen Luna anymore, in case you haven't notice," I told her firmly.

"Your title hasn't been stripped by the King Alpha, so unless you're a spirit, you're still our Queen Luna," Diana informed me with a tone of scolding. It wasn't a tone she took with me often before. I frowned.

"You shouldn't be here," I told her, a twinge of concern licking at my soul. I purposely ignored her comment about Roman, not willing to dive into that conversation. Diana hesitated at my statement.

"We need you to come back," Diana said to me, suddenly anxious. She glanced behind her, as though she might've been followed, but I couldn't sense any other wolves nearby. She was alone.

I took in her request silently. I could guess why she was saying this. They were probably about to start Roman's world ending plan. Diana would of course want to stop it, being that she obviously was a follower of the old laws.

"Mila, please. We need you to come back," She repeated when I didn't answer her.

"I can't change his mind," I said stiffly. "I've already tried."

Diana raised her hand to her neck nervously. I'd never seen her so antsy before. Perhaps it was because she was so far from home. Or perhaps it was because she was near a village of humans and wasn't used to the proximity.

"You don't understand. He's changed his mind," Diana said almost desperately. I almost didn't hear her. My heart was already pounding heavily in my chest at her presence. Blood was rushing loudly in my ears nervously, as though Roman might step around a corner any moment. Would I want him to? I shook my head.

"What do you mean?"

"The King Alpha. He's postponing the war on the humans. There's unrest among the packs. Something terrible is brewing... the packs may turn on each other. Some might proceed with the plan without the Trinity pack or approval from the King Alpha," Diana burst forward with her words, each one tumbling out of her as though it had been a river behind a dam building within her. I struggled to follow.

"Roman... postponed the war?" I started from the beginning in confusion.

"He won't attack you, Mila," Diana responded, a confusion washing over her features. "You don't know that already?"

I hesitated, remembering his silence in the forest when I'd left. I'd taken it as a confirmation that he wouldn't be swayed...

"He's told Caleb already. He'll postpone the war until this generation is gone and then drop it altogether. He'll protect you and your descendants, even if they aren't his own," Diana continued babbling with a renewed vigor, "He's honestly talking nonsense at this point. The packs think he's lost his touch and has been swayed by the Goddesses. There's unrest... it's concerning."

I finally began to grasp what she was asking.

"Are you asking me to return so that the plan can continue?" I asked incredulously, looking at Diana from her head to toe suspiciously.

"If you return, if the King Alpha announces you as the Queen Luna to the packs, you could show a united front. You could reveal your abilities, reveal your blessings from the Goddesses, and enter us into an age among the Goddesses' favor once more. The packs could find peace and-"