Chapter Twenty-Three

The sun had risen far into the sky by the time I found my home village. I had thought the moment I saw it, I would be overflowed with such wild emotion that I would throw away all concerns and run into the arms of the first person I recognized. Instead, as the village came into view in the distance, I stood staring at it quietly.

It looked different. Were the buildings always so unimpressive? And the farmland nearby was a much sadder and smaller replica of the ones that the wolves contained. I had known, living the life of a human, that we weren't allowed the wealth the deity shapeshifters had especially without being able to move beyond a certain range of our village. But had we always lived in such a sad state?

Still, after some time I began to remember and recognize things. That building was the schoolhouse. And that one was the Center Hall... it felt like years ago that I'd been selected from there. This was my home.

I moved quietly along the edge of the village, watching the humans go about their day as they did everyday without me. I recognized most of them, images of memories flashing through my mind when I did. But I didn't want to speak to them. I wanted to go home.

I continued until I finally was near the house I'd grown up in. I didn't see my father, mother, or younger brother anywhere nearby. Being that the sun was so high in the day, they would be working to bring food to the table. I could probably sneak inside and get some rest before revealing myself to them.

Would they accept me? Or would they know the moment they saw me that I wasn't the same Mila that had left them?

After much hesitation, I finally moved towards my home. I reached for the door handle, opening the door quietly like a ghost. Just the sight of the room within flooded me with memories. How many times had I run through these rooms like a mad child, my mother calling out behind me to slow down? How many dinners did we have together, our laughter rising despite our small living?

My eyes scanned the common rooms quietly and then I froze.

My mother was there, in the kitchen. She stood silently looking out of the small window above the sink where she was cleaning the same bowl over and over again. Her head was tilted slightly and she breathed slowly, looking at nothing as though she weren't truly there. It was a vision that shook me to my core. Her hair was usually a crimson fire that matched the colors of the leaves of the tree outside my bedroom window during autumn. Now it was dull from lack of care, flattened to her shoulders rather than the lively waves I'd been used to. Her skin was even paler than before which was something I didn't think was possible. And yet, she was still this thin beauty, frail but still there.

"Mama?" I whispered, afraid that if I spoke too loudly she would just disappear into the air before me like the spirit she seemed to be.

Mom froze, the bowl held stiffly in her suddenly tight grip. For a moment, I thought she wouldn't even turn to look at me, but then she did almost violently. The moment her familiar amber eyes landed on mine, the bowl slipped from her hand and crashed loudly on the ground. I knew I must've looked like a beast to her. My skin was blackened from the smoke of the temple fire, streaks no doubt patterned through my face from my tears. My hair was untamed and longer than before. My skin held scratches from my travel through the forest and my clothes were slightly tattered just the same. Would she even recognize me?

"Mama, it's me," I began, but before I could finish, she was suddenly rushing towards me. I lost my breath when she threw herself at me, caging me into her arms with such intensity that it was blinding.

"My baby," Mom cried out, a wail of pain and happiness all in one. She tightened her grip and a sob tore through her so violently that it hurt me. "I thought you were-" She sobbed hysterically. "I thought you were-"