Chapter Eleven

I made my way back to Roman's home in something of a daze. Coming from the visions felt similar to waking up from a vivid dream. Time was lost and in it so was connecting actions. Somehow I had left the temple and somehow I had ended up crawling up the side of Roman's house, having decided to come back without even knowing when the decision was made.

My mind cleared only when I climbed through the same window I had escaped from. As soon as I straightened myself, the room to the door opened and I was caught in the act of my return. I stood with my lips parted in surprise as Roman stood at the threshold of the door with a look of mild astonishment on his own features. His eyes followed the cuff dangling on my wrist to the bed where I had managed to break through it. The dots were easy to connect.

"You were not to go outside," He said in warning, frustration in his tone.

"I just..." I looked down at myself for a moment. My clothes were soaked through from my activities with Cynthia. It was damning. "... I went for a swim."

"A swim," Roman repeated, stepping towards me intimidatingly. "Do you think I've forgotten about you being a so-called oracle?" It was like he could see right through me. I frowned and narrowed my eyes as I inspected him.

"Did you seek their guidance?" He asked me abruptly, his question laced with deep-seated anger. "Did they give you their oh-so-special visions? What omniscient advice have they bestowed upon you?"

I didn't respond. He was mocking me. Or maybe he was just mocking the Goddesses. Either way, it was a dangerous line of questioning and the way in which he shot them at me suggested he wasn't interested in the actual answers. I began to shiver as the cold wind flowed into the room from the window behind me, teasing at my wet skin mercilessly.

Roman stepped even closer, his anger only rising.

"I have my guesses. They want you to trap me; to pin my limbs with the strongest of steel and to lock me away. They want me buried far from the surface of this Earth. A coffin fit for one who will never find Death," He growled lowly, taking another step towards me. I expected to feel fear as he approached me, but I only trembled from the cold. I was confused by his guess.

"That's..." I hesitated. It was an awful thought, that's what it was.

"Why not? It's what they demanded of their oracles in the past," He admitted, seething from the memory. "Or do they have something else planned? I'm sure they know what I intend to do to the humans. Are they afraid, Milena? Did they plead to you for their help? How kind of them to fear for the humans and yet to condemn the wolves."

"What do you plan to do to the humans?" I asked, my heart beginning to race in my chest at his words.

"You won't be here, so it doesn't concern you," He responded sharply. I glared at him, my anger beginning to rise above my hesitation. In the visions, I saw the younger version of Roman; happy and carefree. But that Roman was long gone. I couldn't even recognize him in the man standing before me.

"I have a question for you," I said angrily, my emotions taking over my rationality, "Do the wolves follow you because they want to? Or is it because you are blessed by the Maiden?"

Roman froze before me, his eyes narrowing dangerously.

"And what do you mean by that?" He asked warningly. I could have backtracked immediately, but instead I did what I do best.

"She gave you the ability to control the wolves, something she hasn't gifted to anyone else until me. You told me they took away their blessings; the Mother wouldn't give you a Mate and the Crone wouldn't take your life. But you're a liar. You can still control the wolves because you have the Maiden's blessing. And you, you hypocrite, I bet you still use it to this day," My voice rose against my better judgment.