Chapter Seven

The room was slightly wrecked. I stood at the end of the empty bed, my raven hair a wild mass around me and my clothes torn and bloodstained in places from the struggle. There was damage to the sheets from where my blade must have nicked it without me knowing. The bedside table was overturned and everything on top was shattered or otherwise broken. And the floor below was stained with blood. It looked like wild animals had broken into the Alpha's room and tried to kill each other.

Close enough.

I wanted to be pleased that a majority of the blood was from the King Alpha's head and chest wounds, but when I lifted my hand to briefly touch my neck I had my doubts. He had bitten me and hard. It hurt to swallow. In fact, it hurt to move at all. I wasn't sure why he had done it if he hadn't meant to just tear my throat out, though it sure felt like it. But still I woke alive and somewhat well, alone and in the very room I had tried to assassinate him.

Besides that, I felt completely strange. When I moved, I could feel something in me moving with me and it was unnerving. I felt high-wired as if every smell and movement was enhanced. I didn't know what to make of it, so I decided to pointedly ignore it.

I lifted my arms above my head, wincing as I stretched nimbly. And then I stepped around to the scene of the crime, dropping to my hands and knees swiftly. I ignored the feel of the dried liquid against my fingers which were already painted in blood from the brawl. I looked along the floor, inspecting the area around the damaged bedside table and slowly looking under the bed itself. And then I made a noise of happiness.

My blade was forgotten behind the depths of the bed skirt. I flattened myself to the floor and reached for it, grasping air until my fingertips brushed the hilt of the blade. Once I pulled it from under the bed, I twisted it in front of me and made a face. It was covered entirely in that demon's blood.

I stared at it a moment, remembering him driving it into his own heart and surviving without missing a breath. An immortal werewolf... I tightened my grip on the blade and used my already soiled shirt to clean it before putting it back in its sheath.

I immediately began to stealthily escape from the building. I had asked to stay, despite my intense desire to return home, and I hadn't been killed for it so I was going to take it as a confirmation. But I wasn't going to chance another encounter with the demon Alpha until I had an idea on exactly how to kill him.

I decided to crawl out of the same window I broke in through and began to creep along the back of the buildings nearby. I moved easily and it took me only a moment to realize that I could sense when a shapeshifter was near. Without knowing it, I was anticipating their presence and avoiding them just as easily. I lifted my hand to my neck, touching the torn meat left from the King Alpha's bite, and winced further.

I moved through a garden, careful not to damage any of the vegetation as I slid beyond the gaze of multiple lycans. When I came across what looked like a school, I hesitated to move further. Schools meant children and children were loud and bad with secrets. If I was spotted by one, I'd be outed immediately.

But when I looked at the school, I didn't sense anyone in or around it. I stared at it a moment longer before quickly moving forward, going around the corner where no one passing by would see me. After a moment, I turned and peered through a window of the school.

It was definitely a classroom, but it was entirely empty. And it looked far more abandoned than the temple had from the inside. Chairs were left knocked over and the floors uncared for. Perhaps werewolves didn't care for education much.

I shrugged it off and continued on my secret observation of the large village. My primary mission was to find that mess hall and to force someone to give me food, even if it meant threatening them with a weapon. I felt like staying here was perhaps making me more primal than usual. Or maybe I'm always a bit violent when I'm hungry...