Chapter 12

I was finishing practice with Coach while he was telling me about Micheal Thompson and his daughter

I was finishing practice with Coach while he was telling me about Micheal Thompson and his daughter. Didn't have the heart to tell him that I already know her. I got a call from my phone and it rang through the whole arena. I looked at coach and gave him a look. I ran over and picked up the phone to see that Maddie was calling. It was unusual so I looked at coach and mouthed a Sorry with an uneasy expression.

"Maddie, what's up? Everything oka-"I was interrupted by Maddie's ramble.

"H-Hi Nate. Please help. Mia came into the dorm, looking terrible. Her eyes were puffy like she was crying and her cheeks were so pink and glossy. A man was on the phone and I could tell it was Mr. Thompson. She suddenly closed her eyes, and was breathing super hard. Then Mr. Thompson tried helping Mia with her breathing, but she stopped responding. An-and then her heart is rapidly beating and Mr. Thompson is pleading Mia to listen to him and wake up and c-can't help. W-Wh-what do I do?" She says in a hurry and trying to get all the information to me.

I stand right up, grabbing my stuff. "Okay, Maddie. Please help Mr. Thompson settle down and get any information out of him about Mia so we let the hospital know. And I'll be there in literally," I check my watch, "two minutes. Call the front desk and ask if they can clear the lobby. Keep me on the phone, Maddie. Don't hang up." I say in a hurry and wave to coach mouthing to him I need to go.

I run out of the arena, down the hall, right, then left, then out of the Athletic Center. I dodge every single person who tries to get my attention and I jump into my truck and start the engine. Maddie is still on the phone, she already has talked to the lobby, and gone back up to their room.

I speed down the street, and thankfully there isn't any police out today. I get to the dorms and I am running through the lobby and up the stairs, skipping every 4 steps. Once I get to their floor, I run over to their dorm. I open the door to see an unconscious Mia on the ground laying there. I bend down to her and listen to her heart beat. It's racing. But, it's uneven. It's like she just ran a race, but then it's like she's sleeping.

I see Josie is talking on the phone, to who I presume is Micheal Thompson. She's trying to explain, but she really has no idea, like the rest of us. She mouths to me, can you talk to him?

I grab the phone and immediately start explaining in the most calm voice I can muster, "Hi Mr. Thompson, it's Nate. I'm friends with Mia, and Maddie called me and explained what she knew. When I got here, Mia was on the floor and her breathing is heavy. Her heart is racing, but uneven. We're taking her to the hospital, is there anything I should tell them when we get there?"

He takes a deep breath and I don't even bother that I'm talking to my hero. "Thank you for being there for her. She has CHD and allergies to so many things that I can't even think of. Lauren and I are going to be on the next flight out. Please take care of my baby girl. Please" He says desperately, but he has to understand that I would do anything for his daughter.