Chapter 1

This is it

This is it. 

I can't believe I've made it this far. I really thought I was going to drop out the second day of ninth grade. Now, I'm glad I didn't because I'm going to college!

Duke University.

My new start. No body knows who I am, and I intend to keep it that way for as long as possible. I've been to Duke three times. Once, for a basketball game with my dad and brother, once with my mom when I was touring colleges, and another for when I committed to Duke. 

I'm so excited to get out of California. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not running from anyone. I just wish life was different sometimes... My family and our life will always be different than the normal person, and I just wish I could live how I want, like a normal teenager.

My dad, Micheal Thompson, is the head coach of the Los Angeles Lakers. He's the best dad in the world. I look like the female version of him. I'm not sure if people will put two and two together, especially when Basketball season starts, but we'll see. And I love the Lakers, I love everything about that team, especially those court side tickets. But, my dad and his career has also costed me friendships. As a normal person, maybe I would be able to make friends easier. But, with my dad's name, everyone either wants him, my brother, or tickets to games that I have.

My brother, Daniel, took a different route through sports. He became a wide receiver, went to Alabama, and went on to play for the Los Angeles Rams. He looks like my mom but with brown hair like my dad. 

My younger sister, Hailey, took the soccer route. She's a junior in high school, playing as a striker for her club and school team. As the youngest, she looks like a good mix of my parents. 

My mom, Lauren, is the only one with a job that doesn't involves sports. She's an accountant with her own firm. She loves it and I guess that's all that matters. She's the most beautiful woman in the world to me. She's blonde with blue-green eyes and she keeps my dad on his toes. 

And then there's me. 

Mia Thompson.

I ran track in high school, and won the state record. I also played soccer but I was much better at track. I decided that I would not continue my passion of sports in college and earn a degree for physical therapy, and possibly trainer, because I have a passion for working out and being healthy and I really want to help people that need help with fitness or injuries. 

I was snapped out of my day dream when my mom waved her hand around my face. "Honey, we're about five minutes from the campus. Are you excited?" She asks me with enthusiasm. She was the only one who could actually take me to school but I'm sure we'll have a great time together. Even though it's a Thursday in the afternoon, there are a lot of people on the road going to the University to, what I presume, move in. 

"Yes mom, I'm actually pretty excited to meet my roommates!" I answered back with the same amount of enthusiasm.

"I still can't believe you didn't meet your roommates yet. What if they are complete psychopaths?" She said as she switched lanes to move toward the exit. 

I took a deep breath. "Well, then we will see!" I said as we got off the exit to campus.

"Hi, I'm Josie Brown and I'm one of your new roommates. And you are so gorgeous!" The girl said, standing behind the door to my new room for the next 8 months. She's the one who is gorgeous. She has dark brown hair that flows over her shoulders, with brown eyes, and a baby face. 

The girl next to her says, "Hi, I'm Maddie Campbell, sorry, Josie is a little excited as you can see." I laughed.

"It's nice to meet you, I hope I'm not taking away from your unpacking." I said quickly, feeling bad. 

"No not at all! We were waiting for you," Josie said with a smile. 

"Hi girls, I'm Lauren, Mia's mom," she said to the girls and turn to me, "I think I will start unloading the car. Come down soon so you can help, please!" 

"Okay mom, sounds good!" I yelled to her as she walked away.

"Who's ready for the best freshman year ever!" Josie exclaimed, jumping up and down, as I walked in.

I was actually surprised that the room was pretty large, with a living area with the couch I had bought and TV with coffee table.

The bathroom was nice, and so was the small kitchen we had. I was glad that the rumors of sharing a bathroom with the whole floor was incorrect. This was way better than I could have ever imagined. 

"Your room is on the left, and ours are on the right. You have the biggest room too," Maddie said as I walked through.

"Are you sure? One of you can take it, I don't mind at all!" I responded, questioning why someone wouldn't have taken the biggest room.

"No, that's alright. Also, you have the biggest bed and I'm sure both Josie and me will be sleeping with you a lot." She smiles at me. I grin back. 

"I have no complaints about that! Thank you so much, I really appreciate that." And then I remembered my mom. "Well, I should go help my mom get my stuff but it was great to meet you and I'm happy everything is working out!" I hollered as I left.

When I got down to the car, my mom was smiling. 

"Well sweetie, I think they are nice people and that you'll get along great!"

"Yeah mom, me too" I said with a smile.