Chapter 13

I'm cold

I'm cold. And I can't hear or see. My throat is dry. And I can tell my breathing is not normal. My eyelids feel heavy, so does my body. I'm in a lot of pain. 

Something is wrong. I can tell. Like I don't feel right. And it smells. Terrible. Okay, actually it doesn't smell bad. But where am I? I thought I was in the dorm but our room smells sweet. This place smells like cleaning products and my parent's scent, like home. 

I can hear so many thoughts but I feel like I hear people. It's very quiet though. I'm going to really try to hear but it's difficult and makes my head hurt. 

"Lauren," Lauren? Is my mom surprising me? But who else is with her that is talking to her? "I need her to wake up. She's been out for almost five days. I don't want to leave her but I'm going to have go back home to prepare for the season. They said that I can stay for a couple more days but I'll have to go soon." OH. OH MY GOSH. Dad? 

They're here! I should let them know that I know they're here! But, why can't my eyes open. It's like I can't function. I'm trying but it's not working, and now I'm getting frustrated. I want to groan but I can't open my mouth or say anything. 

I'm able to pry my right eye open and squint. I was not expecting to be where I am, though. 

It's white. The room is. And there's a quiet beep and as I look around I find my parents. But why am I here? I look down and I have an oxygen mask and multiple machines are attached to me. 

It's too bright though so I close my eyes and then my head hits the back of the bed. I hear shuffling and a presence next to me. 

"My sweet girl. Mia can you open your eyes, please sweetheart." My mom's voice rings in my head. 

"Princess, just try again. You're doing an amazing job." My dad's voice rings in my head too. 

I try super hard to open my eyes and they open. But just as they open, they close again. 

I feel a hand enclose in mine and give it a couple squeezes it. I know by the squeezing to my hand is my dad. Then I feel a kiss onto of my forehead. I try again and I'm able to open my eyes for a couple seconds and then close them again. But, my parents seem so proud that I can open them. How stupid do they think I am? Is this some sick joke? 

"One more time, please my little love." Dad pleads to me. I'm confused. Is there something they aren't telling me?

I'm able to open my eyes fully, but my brain really hurts. I look over at my parents as my eyes sag but I'm trying to keep them open. They look so happy, but I'm just really confused. 

I try to talk but I can't. I open my mouth but nothing comes out. I play with my tongue but I still can't do anything. My eyes must showcase my frustration because my mom speaks up. 

"Don't try to talk, my little girl. The doctors gave you medicine so I don't think you'll be able to talk for a little bit. You still have the oxygen mask on but if you want, you can drink some water when your dad tells the doctor that you're awake and the nurse comes in. We are so proud of you, honey. We love so you much." My mom says and she starts to tear up. I want to tell her that I'm fine, they don't have to worry. I'm just a little tired and my body hurts. My dad does not look happy that he's the one having to talk to the doctor which is weird because he talks to literally everyone. I tilt my head at my dad's expression, and he just smiles at me so lovingly. That makes me even more confused.