t e n

The person in the photo: Ruri

"Y/n, say ahh!"

"W...Wait! Try this out first..."

How did things turn out like this? Wherein two people were shoving spoons filled with food aimed at your face?
.
.
A few moments ago.
.
.

"Ruri, as much as I want to become acquainted with your brother, I've already planned something with my friend so..." You left the sentence hanging on purpose, assured that with just that, she'd be able to grasp on to what you were hinting at.

"Eh? So? The four of us could just sit in a table together," she suggested. And while her little plan did make sense, you had other reasons as well as to why you were so persistent on dodging her invitation. You would've agreed to her proposition and go along with what she'd just mentioned if it were on another occasion, but you weren't in the mood to be with someone so energetic who had a blood relative that had a high percentage of emerging as a huge threat to your life.

Indubitably, it wasn't that you didn't like Ruri as a friend. In fact, you really enjoyed spending time with her. But on the flipped side, there was a limit with how much you could be exposed to someone as animated as her. She just sucked out your energy so much that you wouldn't know what'd happen to you if you stayed with her for a second longer. 

"Oh. Nature's calling," this would've been a brilliant escape plan, if not for Ruri immediately doing something to prevent you from properly executing it. "Oh no you don't," and you had no say as she tugged your arm so that she'd be able to keep an eye on you and also pull you along towards the school's canteen. It just amazed you though how her voice didn't show signs of being strained even as she hauled you like a bag of potato sack using only one hand. Now that you'd said that, her stature really was unique compared to all of the other females here. Maybe that's why the others were so intimidated when it came to approaching her...

Sigh, you would've gotten the answer to your queries had you read the spin-off of the book. Since the author said that the series wouldn't bring any major changes to the plot, you had no reason to skim over its content and thus, you were left in the dark with Ruri's character.

Eyes scanning over the whole caféteria, you saw Enki already sitting on one of the tables there, and on top were two packs of lunches presumably made by him. In the story, he was enamoured with cooking because it was the only thing that kept his mind off of all the brutalities in the mansion of the Clorénvales, and thus, after years of doing it, he was able to hone his skills in that area.

His eyes soon spotted you and he eagerly waved for you to come over to him, yet it noticeable weakened once his eyes landed on the person clinging onto you as if you were their lifeline.
.
.
Back to the present.
.
.
"Ruri." A new voice poked through the scene, causing Ruri and Enki to stop what they were currently doing. 'Thank you, kind man,' you told your gratitude to him inside your mind. Right behind the girl who was called out was Hideaki in all his glory. He had the appearance of being ticked off as he saw what his sibling was doing.

"You know, father's going to be mad onceㅡ" Ruri's speed astounded you because she, without a word, swiftly stood up and clamped her hands against the newcomer's mouth that effectively shut them off. "Ah, Y/n! Sorry for this! I forgot that I needed to talk about some things with my brother. I'll introduce you two tomorrow to each other! I'll see you tomorrow, mwa!" She had let go of her brother for a millisecond before kissing your cheeks and finally trudging towards the exit with his arm manhandled by her.

"Well, that was new. Now Enkiㅡ" You were startled to see him looking like he was bestowed upon the worst news a person could get. While still rubbing the place where she had just smooched you, you rubbed circles against Enki's back lightly because that was what you could only think of doing in case he was feeling blue. "Got a bad stomach? Want to go theㅡ"

"I'm fine. How was the food?" He moved over to a new topic and if that's what he wanted, you'll respect his decision of not telling you what was going on inside his brain. "Simply delicious. Even the chefs of our house can't even cook this tastily," and you took another bite just to prove your point.

"Thank you... It was made by me and I'm glad that you find it edible enough to eat," he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, evidently still not familiarized with being praised. "I loved it. If it's not too much to ask, would you mind teaching me how to cook tomorrow? I'd also like to make you something." You patted his head. With your action, he looked like he was feeling better prior to this because on his face, right at this time, held a smile.

"You don't need to feel like you owe me something. I made this for you as a thank you for staying by my side even if I'm a nuisance... Though it'd be an honor for me to convey to you my knowledge in cooking even if I'm not the best at it." You couldn't blame him for still not getting over his lack of self-esteem after all the degrading he's received from his father. You would do your best, though, to help him build up his confidence even if it was at rock bottom at this moment in time.

"Y/n? Can I ask you a favor?" Momentarily stopping yourself from indulging in the food as if your mouth was a vortex, you encouraged him to tell you what was it that he wished for you to do, "Sure."

"Please put your guard up around that... person."

"You mean Ruri?"

"Yes, I'm afraid that she is not what she appears to be."

Admittedly, he wouldn't have felt so antsy if that Ruri was actually a girl.

-

A/n: surprise surprise! ruri has a pp!

There are two chapters left (or even less than that) for the building of Y/n and Enki's relationship. After that, I'll move on to a different character. ^^