Chapter 21

Chapter 21

“So, what do you do on a typical Saturday?”

Heidi has been standing before the mirror for at least one hour now, trying to perfect her eyebrows. I watched her frowned at my question. “Watch Henry and do homework.”

I looked at her with sad eyes, like she was a puppy at the pound needing to be rescued. “So, about this Henry child.” I started making her pause. “You and him close?”

She resumed trying to get the perfect arch, and I caught a smile on her lips. “Like mother and son.”

“Interesting.”

I thought about what she said. I mean, she and Tyler were close. It wouldn’t be strange for her to be so close to her nephew. Yet I felt like that wasn’t quite right.

Something didn’t add up.

I mean she could babysit him sometimes and that would explain why toys were in random places throughout the house and even the Sippy cups in the cupboard, right?

Yeah, that’ll explain it.

Yet I couldn’t help but think. What if he was her son?

I laughed out loud at the thought. No, I was definitely overthinking this.

“I think you’ve been sitting there watching me for way too long and it’s making you ‘loco’.” She pointed out.

I ignored her. “So, don’t you go anywhere on the weekends? Maybe someplace you like or even do something you love doing?”

“Does a modelling gig count?”

I shook my head. She shrugged and went back to her eyebrow.

“Sometimes us girls would go to Danny’s and get pizza,” I explained. “Then at nine, they have a bunch of country artist come on and sing. It was very nice, but they discontinued it.”

“Country music?”

“Yeah. Country music hits differently.”

“Can’t relate.”

“When I was little, my dad had this CD with a bunch of old country singers on it. He used to play it every Tuesday night and he and I would lie down on the couch and listen until we fell asleep. There’s just something about country music that puts my mind at ease.” I sighed as I remembered. “I could see the stories from the songs coming alive before my eyes.”

“Aww.” I blinked, and she was right next to me. “Who’s your favourite artiste?”

“It’s hard to choose between Kenny and Carrie Underwood. I also really love Taylor Swift”