Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Aria's POV

I sped down the freeway at a hundred miles an hour. If the windows were down, the wind would be brutal with my hair and my skin. The sun was going down even though it was barely past five signs that September was ending.

I was happy that the seasons changed and only expected the nice coolness that fall would bring.

I sighed at the thought, pushing it to the side of my mind to be picked up later and focused on my sister's voice on the phone in front of me. "And please make sure you're not on the phone while driving."

"No. It's on the dashboard on the loudspeaker."

She breathes with relief. "Good."

My eyebrows furrowed in thought as I finally analysed the situation she presented me with.

"I don't understand," I told her. "I thought you had Henry for the weekend? How can you go to a party?"

I slowed at the last stoplight before exiting the freeway and drove towards Beverly Glen, where my sister lived.

She called me about a half-hour ago saying she needed my help, but it wasn't until the last five minutes that she revealed to me she wanted my help to get ready for the party.

Of course, it confused me, and I thought maybe I'd mistaken her for Danica. But there was no mistaking my sister's delicate British accent. It was beautiful.

"She wanted me to have fun and be a 'teenager'." She sighed into the phone. It was as if being a teenager was the hardest thing for her to do right now and I understood how it could be a little different, but not difficult like this. It was strange getting used to this version of my sister when I was so used to another person.

"You sound stressed by that thought." I pointed out.

She sighed again, and I could hear the wariness in her voice. "I just... It's been a long time."

"He really changed you, huh?"

"He did." She admitted. "Lo amo más que a nada en el mundo porque él es mi todo."

"Ew. You got sappier." I complained as I rolled into the garage. I turned the key in the ignition and waited for the car to die down before I exited.

I could hear her quiet laugh through the phone. A light chuckle that was laced with amusement over what I said. "I became a mother."

Aww.

"Speaking of mothers." I walked gingerly towards the front door. "Where's yours?"

"She said something about going to the beach. Where are you? You should be here by now."

"I'm outside."

"Alexa, open the front door!" she shouted. I had to move the phone away from my ears to not be deaf. "It's open."

"I heard."

I made my way inside, following the trail of a few loose toys into the foyer. The walls were a light grey colour with white baseboards and light hardwood floors. Someone neatly organised the entire place, as if no one lived there. I couldn't understand how she kept everything so well kept with an eighteen-month-old running around.

The house was fairly quiet except for the soft hum of music flowing from the living room, but everything became more chaotic when I reached Heidi's bedroom. I spotted a pile with the sheets and pillows that should be on her bed on the floor. A few seconds later Henry emerged from beneath them with an ear-piercing shriek that soon turned to giggles.