Chapter 25

Chapter 25

The tears that ran down my face weren't warm anymore. They were cold, as the feeling in the pit of my stomach whenever I thought about what was happening in my life now. I was angry at my father, at Miguel, but most of all I was angry at myself for being scared.

I could hear my father's voice echoing in my head. You're weak.

I tried to ignore it, as I tried to convince myself otherwise. "You are not weak. You're stronger than you know."

A knock on my bedroom door made my watering eyes focus again. I tried to answer, but I couldn't find my voice. The door crept open and my mother crept inside slowly. I wiped the tears from my face when I saw her.

"Heidi, everyone's worried about you," she said. Her voice was low and pitiful. "You've skipped dinner and refuse to sleep."

"How can I eat or sleep, mother?" My eyes followed her as she came until she was sitting beside me. "What am I going to do?"

"Do what's best for you and your son."

I stared at her with uncertainty. "I don't know what that is, Mum."

"What are you feeling, darling? Talk it out."

My throat ached, and fresh tears brewed in my eyes. It surprised me that I had any left to cry. "I don't want to make the wrong choices, Mum. I don't want my name to be all over the place in a scandal, I don't want Miguel to just walk away from this without paying for what he did and I do not want my son to grow up hearing that he's a rape baby."

The lump in my throat grew bigger until I feared it would choke me. It was so painful to speak, to even exist right now. Warm arms snake around me and pull me in. I went, snuggling up to her and stealing all the comfort I remembered from when I was little. "I feel like I need to talk to him."

"Your father?"

I shook my head. "No, Miguel."

She stared at me in disbelief. "You've gone mad."

I shrugged. "Perhaps. I need to hear for myself what Miguel's intentions really are."

She nodded. "Well, you can't go alone."

"I'm taking Dani with me. Can you look after Henry until I get back? I don't want to take him with me."

She sighed beside me, but she nodded anyway. "Please be careful and know that whatever you decide to do I will support you." She kissed my forehead lightly. "Everything will be fine. Go to bed."

I got up behind her. "I need to get Dani first."

*****

Danica's POV

Saying I worried about Heidi would be the understatement of the century. It was 3 AM, yet Aria and I still sat downstairs on the couch.

I was sure I looked like a zombie. My eyes felt heavy and grainy, yet I couldn't go to sleep. Sleep was the least of my worries, the first being whether Heidi was Okay. The last time Aria checked, about an hour ago, she was crying in her room and wouldn't let anyone in.

I wanted to go up there and comfort her, but I wasn't sure how to. How do I assure her she won't lose her son? I couldn't and I didn't want to make matters worse.

I, myself, wasn't even sure how I felt. At first, hearing that she had a child didn't seem so bad. Now I could see all the responsibilities it came with. All the pressure and worries of being responsible for another human's life.

I wasn't sure I was ready for that yet.

Tonight alone has proven to be one of the most stressful times of my entire life. More stressful than trying to perfect the last showcase and that made me want to pull my hair out.