XIII: Другая миссия (Another Mission)

Warning: mild abusive behavior. 

March 2010. Arlington, Virginia.

Winter Phoenix/SA-8431's POV

I knelt on the roof with the sniper gun, pointed at the large house.

'Ты уже готова, Зима (You ready yet, Winter)?' I asked the Soldier in Russian. He looked at me. 

'Готов (Ready).' I watched the house carefully with a trained eye, watching the older woman set out the plates, cups and forks. Two little girls ran in and sat down. Automatically, my finger slid off the trigger. 

'Они ничего не сказали о детях (They didn't say anything about kids),' I said to Winter. He said nothing, only looked at me. Then our target came into view and sat down at the head of the table. I moved the sniper rifle to rest at his head. I loaded one bullet into the chamber, and clicked off the safety on the rifle, watching. Waiting. I felt the presence of the metal-armed Soldier next to me. 'Просто позволь мне сосредоточиться (Just let me focus),' I growled at him. He stayed silent. I breathed, in and out. Then, I pressed my finger on the trigger and took the shot. The man fell on the ground, the scarlet red pouring from his head, indicating I had done my job. Just then the woman looked around, and the girls started screaming in panic. Then she looked up, and met my eyes. I maintained the stare, watching her like a hawk as she pulled out her phone and punched in a few numbers, calling someone. 

We entered the house. The girls had left the room. 

'Winter. Stairs,' I whispered in English. He went up the stairs. I checked my watch. Approximately twelve minutes until the ambulance and the police arrive on the scene. I kicked the body of the older man, watching the woman as she cowered. 'Interesting,' I said drily. I looked up at her, kneeling next to the body and pulling the wedding ring off of the man's hand, throwing it at her feet. 'So he was important to you.'

'You're the one,' she said in a thick accent. From some part of America, I thought. 'You're the sniper.' 

'Damn straight. You know, I really thought a senator would have more security. Too bad my comrade took care of them. Amateurs, really.' Just then one of the girls screamed from upstairs. Winter dragged a girl down the stairs by her hair. She looked like the eldest. He threw her on the floor, and I pulled the girl up, back flush against my chest, and put a gun to her head. She was crying and sobbing loudly. 'Shut up,' I growled. 'The files. Now.' 

'Wha- what files? I don't know what you're talking about,' the woman stuttered, stumbling back, trying to hide her fear. 

'Roberta Wynters, isn't it? It's a shame your husband died. He was holding out secrets to the wrong people, Mrs. Wynters. And he had to pay the price. HYDRA will serve its purpose. The files - Now.' 

'I don't know what you're talking about.' I pressed the gun further to the girl's head and she screamed loudly. 

'The nuclear weapons files. I'm fairly sure you've been in your husband's office. Give me the files, or your daughter dies too.' She crept towards a coffee table, but I stopped her, breaking the attachment under the table that held the secret 9mm gun stored underneath. I clicked my tongue. 'Oh, you never learn. No more tricks. Files. Or the girl dies. I will not ask again.' She moved towards the door of the study. The girl cried. I pulled her hair back, making her let out a strangled sob again. 'Shut up.' I threw the girl to Winter. 'Do with her what you will. Keep her under guard. We have five minutes.' 

'До чего (Until what)?' he called out in Russian. I said nothing, only walked into the study room to see her rifling around through the papers in her husband's desk. 

'The files, woman. Now.' She thrust a file at me. I looked through it. 'It's enough. I lit a match and threw it on the rest of the papers, straight in front of her face. She leapt back, startled. I grabbed her by the hair and marched her out of the office, letting it burn behind me. 

The cops found nothing. 

No trace, only a sniper slug, Russian made and a dead body with a hole shot straight through his head. 

Only lots of blood and three terrified girls in the same house. And a whole office, burned out of all its papers.