XXII: Jet to Siberia

P.s. I know the photo above is of the WinterWidow comics ship, between the Winter Soldier Bucky Barnes) and the Black Widow (Natasha Romanoff), but just imagine the Winter Phoenix kissing him instead. 

June 2012. Siberia, Russia. 

Winter Soldier/Asset's POV

'Не уходи (Don't go),' I said to Phoenix in Russian as she was getting ready to leave for the Red Room training facility. 

'Вы знаете, что я должен (You know I have to),' she replied in the same language with perfect fluency. 

'Why won't they send me with you?' I asked her in English. She shook her head. 

'I don't know. All I know is they need me to train girls for the Red Room. They apparently can't do that if you're there. They told you are a distraction to my work. It's not your fault. It's mine.' 

'I want to go with you.' 

'You can't. But I'll come back. Eventually. Somehow, some way, I'll make my way back. To you. To this - wretched place.'

'Nu e ca și cum Camera Roșie ar fi mai bună (It's not like the Red Room is any better),' I replied in Romanian. 

'True,' she said. She went to pull on her combat boots, but I grabbed her hand and pulled her close to me. I looked down at her lips and she did the same. Then, taking her cheek in my hand, I kissed her passionately. The kiss lingered, and when we broke apart for air, her cheeks were slightly flushed, her eyes burning bright with passion. 'Your eyes look the best when you kiss me,' she said softly. 

'Maybe I should do it more often.' A small smile passed my lips. 'If you and I had more-' She placed her fingers on my lips. 

'Don't you dare finish that sentence, Soldier.' 

'I love you.' 

'I love you more.' 

'Not possible.' I pecked her lips again and she put her hand on my chest and slightly pushed me away from her. 

'Say it again, Soldier, and if I had more say in the matter, I might as well stay,' she replied. 'But they need me to go, and I have orders.'

'Then go. I'll be waiting for you.' She hummed. 

'They'll probably give you a new partner while I'm away.' He scoffed and the annoyance in his eyes was evident. 

'You know I work with no one but you.' She opened the door and stepped out of the cell.

'Don't kill anybody while I'm gone.' 

'I'll try not to.' She left the cell. 

Third Person POV 

She was cold, calculating, walked with a certain air that spoke volumes. She was on a mission. She walked to the jet. Entering the jet, she sat down, adjusting the mask around her face. She stared straight ahead, trying to hide the fact that she had had a previous warming interaction with the Soldier earlier. It was hard, trying to hide her feelings for him. The Winter Phoenix would see him again - or so she hoped. 

She couldn't remember all they'd been through, and tried to remember the little things. Like that kiss they'd shared. Or the time in Milan, in Italy, that they'd shared together. She hoped for another like it, but she couldn't hope in front of HYDRA or the Red Room. There was no room for hope. 

Little did she know - that this trip might just be the very last time that the Winter Phoenix got to see the light of day.