Chapter Thirty-Five - Alone Again

~

Layla's POV

~

"All passengers from flight CA9967 please begin boarding at Gate 7." A female voice comes over the speakers that surrounds the area we're waiting in and I sigh, my head lifting from where it's resting on Reece's shoulder. I turn my head to look up at him and he stares back at me with a frown.

"It'll be okay," I murmur, forcing a small, fake smile onto my face, "We did it once, we can do it again."

"That doesn't mean I want to." He grumbles, resting his forehead on my shoulder. I sigh, moving my hand up to run it through his hair. I've already said my goodbyes to Anna, Liam, Amanda, Max, and Mark. I only sat back down with Reece not even a minute ago and now their flight is being called. I want to stay with Reece until the very last second. I know it will be a very long time before I get to see him again. Longer than last time. So I want to spend as much time with him as physically possible.

Especially considering my newfound feelings for him.

"I don't want to either, Reecey," I murmur, tracing the tattoos on the back of his neck. Over his shoulder, I see Anna, Max, Amanda, Liam, and Mark all standing up, getting ready to leave. I know I should probably be spreading the last of my time with them all equally, but I can't help it. And I think they understand that. There's something deeper between Reece and I that I don't have with anyone else. Even Amanda, my best friend.

I know that I'm falling in love with him. But I also know that there's no way the feelings are reciprocated.

"Do you have your hoodie?" I ask, referring to the navy blue hoodie that he gave me before I left for New York. Last night, Reece made me wear it to bed just so that it would smell like me for as long as possible. I think I'm starting to understand just how much my presence actually calms him. I'm glad I can do that for him.

And I most certainly made him wear the grey hoodie I stole from him as well.

"It's in my suitcase," Reece mutters, lightly kicking the small carry-on suitcase that's resting at his feet. He slowly pulls his head away from my shoulder and I can see the tears forming in his eyes. No. If he cries, I'm going to break down.

"One last hug?" I ask, standing up and holding my arms out to him. He immediately stands up and steps forward, his foot landing right between mine so that our bodies collide. Strong arms wrap firmly around my waist to steady us. He stands up to his full height, lifting my feet off the ground as my arms hook around his neck.

"Don't say last. Please, Sunshine. It makes it sound too permanent. This isn't permanent. I'm saving up to come see you again the second I get home." He whispers, his words strong and his voice strained. He's trying not to cry.

I sniffle, wiping a stray tear from my cheek as I tried to hold the rest back from falling. "I'm coming to visit you next. I'll be visiting my dad and Mack soon anyway, hopefully. So I'll see you then, okay?"

Reece huffs, arms tightening around my waist even further as he buries his head into the crook of my neck. "I'll be counting down the days, Sunshine."

I sigh quietly in content as he presses a soft kiss beneath my ear. "So will I."

~

I step into the empty apartment after my mother and Bella, feeling a hollowness in my chest. I look around and feel my heart clench. The apartment feels so deserted without Liam's excited chatter and Anna's laughter. All the shoes that had once been lined up just inside the front door are now gone. I walk through to the living room, half-expecting to see Amanda and Mark sitting in the armchair together. But of course that doesn't happen.