Sly, sister

I am not keen to admit that I did not sleep that night for thoughts of Benedict Bridgerton that entered my brain and refused to leave. If the letter was not enough to make me feel something, then the sketches that accompanied it certainly were. I could see that, as I do, the problem he faces is often with the hands of the figure. There are scribblings of unknown women where he has not filled the details of their faces, drawings of his own home as well as all the other houses on the street, and delicate little flowers such as the ones that I often find myself using for inspiration, they are found rather commonly in the gardens. I do believe they show good potential, and I tuck the book underneath my pillow in the morning quickly as my mother bursts into my room, completely unannounced as she always does. "My dear, you must get out of bed this instant. You must bathe and you must... oh, Peaches. We have tea this afternoon, and then we have a ball at the Vauxhalls this evening. You must be ready for both of them."

"Yes, mother." I stretch my arms up and force out a yawn to suggest that I have only just awoken, when in fact, I have been awake for hours upon hours. She scowls and she leaves and I am left alone once again, and the first thing I do is approach my bedroom window and draw the curtains back slightly, so that I can investigate into whether he is in his own room or not. As I sneak my head to look, I see that he is, in fact. I panic and close the curtains quickly, however, when I see that he is removing his night shirt in a varying state of undress. I would be much too embarrassed to look him in the eye if I saw much else... or would I? Just as I am about to take another peak, my door flies open once more and I am greeted by Philipa, and when I am greeted by philipa, I am always also greeted by prudence as well. "Oh, my dear sisters! I have this new fashion I must tell you of. It is called knocking before you enter a room because it is basic politeness. I hear it is all the rage in London."

My sisters are not smart enough to understand that this is passive aggressive, and so Prudence just snorts and continues on into my bedroom. "Mother said you had a parcel arrive last night. What such person should be sending you parcels and letters, Peaches?"

"If I wanted you two to know, then I would have rushed to tell you, would I not? So do take your abnormally large noses, and get them out of my business." I scowl at the two of them, but this still does not convince them into leaving. "I do not know what you want from me, sisters. I do not wish to talk to you, I do not see how much clearer I can make that fact for the two of you. Shall I ask Varley whether she can come to escort you, is that it?"

"You have always thought that you are better than us, Peaches. You shall learn one day that you are wrong." Prudence gives me a sly smile, and if it was coming from anyone other than these two then I perhaps may feel anything more than amusement. "We shall find out what is going on and we shall tell mother."

"I am ever so scared. Now would you please leave so that I can bathe? Thank you."

I am ready, and I am almost nearly late, but we fine ourselves waiting for Penelope and so it is not me that is in trouble. The park where we shall go for tea is barely a walk from our own but my mother is insistent that we must take the carriage anyway, even though I am sure that the fuss and hassle that comes with this takes more time than it would to simply have walked. As my mother continues to cause a commotion, I see that the Bridgertons are leaving, and that they are leaving by foot. "Mother, can I not walk instead? I have been feeling slight queasy all morning, I do believe the fresh air should do me well."

"You cannot walk unaccompanied, it would be improper." My mother waves her hand dismissively, shaking her head as she fits into the carriage. I stay stuck in my spot outside, insistent. "Yes, Peaches, fine. Take penelope with you, she shall ensure you do not get yourself into any trouble. Penelope, get out."

"Yes, mama." Penelope sighs, scowling a little at me as she blames me for the exercise we are about to have to take, but I do know she shall forgive me when she sees that we shall be walking only briefly behind the bridgerton family and I am sure eloise will insist on our inclusion. Just as Pen is about to begin talking to me, I lift my finger to point to them, and her scowl instantly drops to a small smile. "You are sly, sister."

"I am indeed. You must call Eloise so she knows we are here, and that should do the rest." I nod at her, and she nods to show we are in agreement, before she shouts for Eloise. Her friend turns around and sees her instantly, slowing down so that she might speak to us rather than her siblings. "Eloise, how lovely to see you."

"Peaches, I do believe we have not spoken since at least your mother's birthday party last year." Eloise is energetic, but I find her to be rather too abrasive sometimes. "I do hope this is not rude of me, but could I speak to Pen alone? I must ask something of her."

"Oh, of course. I shall walk ahead and I shall listen to not a word." Usually I would find myself irritated by her, but today I do not. She did exactly what I wished she would. So I speed up my strides, until I am able to blend in with the back of the bridgerton crowd.

"Ah, Miss Featherington. It is only you and Pen that joins us today? Alas, where are the remainder of your horrible sisters?" Benedict addresses me, slowing down his stroll so that I might catch up. "Did you find a way to be rid of them, because if so, I wonder if you could share the method with me so that I might rid myself of Anthony and perhaps Eloise too?"