A shock

Once we have helped ourselves to a flute of champagne each, I glance over to see if Benedict resides in the same spot but he does not. Marina and Colin stand alone talking, and his brother is now no longer in sight. I do, however, catch eyes with Anthony, who narrows his own slightly as he slides across the dance floor in order to speak with his friend, the Duke. I turn to speak to Pen, only to see that she has gone, and she has met with Eloise and they chat rapidly between themselves. This leaves me alone, and I should probably be looking for suitors and promenading, or dancing, or talking to available men but I simply cannot motivate myself to do so. "Peaches."

"Oh! Oh. Mr Bridgerton."

Benedict takes a place beside me, and refuses to meet my eye. But in part, I refuse to meet his too. "Rather wonderful wedding, do you not think?"

"It is. Rather wonderful."

He recognises that I am being blunt with him, and so he does his best to continue to smile and continue his facade. "Perhaps you shall accompany me somewhere that is quieter and less busy. You look as though you shall like to catch your breath, and I wish to keep you in polite conversation." As I do not respond instantly, he adds. "Please, peaches. I wish only to speak with you. There shall be no funny business on my behalf."

I glance up to him, my heart fluttering as he meets his eye, and I agree. And so, he leads me to a small room that leads off from the main ballroom. It appears to be a study, and he clicks the door shut behind him. "You did not wish to write to me and tell me that you were not to be the viscount? A visit should not have harmed, you know. I have wanted to see you since that night in the maze."

"As have I, Peaches. Only I thought you should be too angry with me to want to discuss such matters with me." He rests himself against the desk, which is filled with paper and ink and feathers to write with, watching me with bright eyes. "Do you remain too angry with me, my dear?"

"I do... I... I do not know. I am angry, yes. I will not deny that I am angry, I am a stubborn woman but... I have missed you more than I have been angry with you, Benedict. I have attended every ball hoping to catch a glimpse of you, I have opened my curtains every morning in the hopes that you shall do the same and you shall... well... that you shall see me and be reminded of me and come and see me... and well, propose. And we could continue where it was that we left off." I take a deep breath after I have finished talking, aware of how much I have shared with him. I do not know if that was such a good idea or not. "I know that I said I shall never marry you but I did not mean it. I did not mean it at all. I wish to be with you more than anything. I... I love you."

"I have been heartbroken too. I have not left my room even once. That is why you shall not have seen me at balls, I have stayed at home and I have wished that you shall be the one to write letters to me." Benedict pushes himself from the desk to approach me, placing a gentle hand to cup my face and planting a small kiss on my forehead. "I love you too. And I shall be honoured to have you as my wife, if you shall have me."

"Of course I shall. I should love nothing more. Do you... well... is this a proposal? A... promise? Shall you genuinely marry me and this shall be all?" I smile, pushing my face slightly against his hand so that I may satisfy my crave for his physical touch. "And we shall marry and we shall have a wedding reception as this one, and we shall have children and lots of them?"

"We shall have children, and as many of them as you wish. One, two, seven, perhaps fifteen. You must come up with names for them all, though. I am rather ulcerative in that way." His fingers trail down my neck and I shiver as he places them on my back, engaging me in a kiss, and I return the favour. "I have missed you."

"As have I-" The door flings open, to reveal Colin and Marina. Colin tilts his head ever so slightly as he regards myself and Benedict, and Marina only offers me a smirk. I am quick to move away from him, his hands sliding quickly to his side in any attempt to hide what we both know they have already seen. "Colin. Marina. It is pleasant to see you both."

"As it is you, cousin." Marina strides forward, taking a seat on the small settee that resides in the corner of the office. She makes it clear to me that she shall not be the one to leave. "I do apologise for myself and Colin barging in unannounced. I have been feeling rather faint and so I wished to retreat to a smaller room where I might catch my breath..."

"And what are you doing in here, if I may be so bold to ask?" Colin regards Benedict. From the wide and mischievous grin on his face, I know that he already knows, and most likely only wishes to ask in order to make it awkward or uncomfortable.

"I was merely asking Miss Bridgerton if she may be so kind as to marry me. So nothing too important, please, take the room." Benedict sighs a little and takes my hand, leading me from the room and closing the door behind us. "I did not know that Colin and Marina... well, that is a shock."

"So we are engaged?"

"We certainly are."