The unthinkable

I do not know the house of the next ball we attend, but it is not as grand as lady Danburys home. As I think of this and as I gaze around to look for portraits that may indicate where I am, I think of the painting I did for her once again, and become slightly frustrated that it must still be on display, and that it is certainly not my best work. And as if by magic, she appears by my side. "Lady Danbury, it has been quite some time since we spoke properly. I apologise for the escape I attempted at the other ball."

"Not to worry, I shall make a dancer out of you yet... It has indeed, dear Peaches. Do tell me, are you still painting? I should hope so, a woman of your talent should do nothing other than paint." She smiles at me. I do envy her sometimes. She is a strong and powerful woman and she is not tied down by any husband. She is a widow, but I do not believe that she was altogether upset when her husband passed away. In fact, I do believe she was almost overjoyed. I should not like to have to go through the marriage aspect to begin with, but I should enjoy the life she leads afterwards. I could paint if I was like her and focus all I have on paint father than all this marriage business. But then I see the Bridgerton family walk past us, and I remember that perhaps, marriage should not be so bad if all goes my way.

"You are far too kind to me, lady Danbury. I should be happy to paint you something better than what I gave you all those years ago, I was only a girl when I completed that. I do not believe it is true to my abilities any longer. I was just thinking of how much better I could do it, if you should allow me." I glance up at one of paintings that this family has on their wall, displayed proudly. It is a beautiful orange sunset.

"Nonsense. When you are a famous and well known painter, I shall show everyone that painting, and I shall tell them that it was the first one you ever completed. It shall be worth all the money in the world, I am sure of it..." Her attention wavers from me for a moment, before she turns and snaps. "Boys! Do not think I have not seen you, you cannot escape my eyes. I may be old and my knees may not work any longer, but my eyes work better than ever." With a laboured sigh, Anthony and Colin greet the lady, bowing their heads to her. "Well, you mustn't seem too excited to see me."

"Forgive me, lady danbury. Perhaps I can offer you a dance for your forgiveness." Collin is quick to take her hand, attempting to spin her around but she only laughs at his feeble attempt, making a comment about her knees as he leads her towards where everyone else is dancing.

I stand in silence by the side of Anthony, and I am about to leave until he clears his throat and begins to speak. "I do not understand Benedict's sudden infatuation with you, I must say."

"Neither do I. Benedict is a fine gentleman, perhaps too fine of a gentleman to dance with someone such as myself."

He turns to me, in confusion. "You are agreeing with me?"

"Certainly. After all, he is the second born bridgerton. I am the fourth born featherington. If you die or run away with that opera singer, he would become the viscount, and he would be married to me and that would be such a disaster for your family and state of affairs. Do you agree with that?"

"How do you know of Siena?" He hisses under his breath, before composing himself once again to keep up any appearance he ever had of being a pleasant human being. I simply smile, satisfied with the gossip that I have heard at Lord Granvilles from madame delacroix. I knew it should serve me well one day. "Nevermind that. I shall allow him to entertain his whims for a season but you should look elsewhere for a husband. You shall not marry him, Lady Featherington."

I say nothing else to him, rather excusing myself to leave the ballroom and find somewhere quieter to take a moment. The moment I am alone is short, and I find myself in company quickly. "Lord Bridgerton. I just had a rather interesting conversation with your brother and I am unsure whether I can listen to anyone from your family for any longer."

"I do hope you mean Colin, although I fear it will have been Anthony since I believe I saw Collin entertaining on the dance floor." He sits beside me, taking a drink of his own.

"You really should not sit with me in here. It is improper and lady whistledown may begin to spread rumours of my virtue if you are not careful." I sigh, running a gentle finger around the rim of the glass. "I do not enjoy the company of your brothers as I enjoy your company."

"My lady. Lady whistledown would write nothing of me and you. You overestimate our importance in the ton, I guarantee that not a soul would even recognise we were in here and not in the ballroom. And even if she were to write anything, it would not matter. My intention is not to offend your virtue." He finishes his drink, lifting his head to glance around the room. "Did you say that you enjoy my company?"

"I believe I have made that perfectly clear in the past two days, have I not? I feel like a fool."

"A fool? Whyever would you feel like a fool?"

"I have never had a conversation with another person that has been as pleasant as any I have had with you. Even your letter was more entertaining that most interactions I have. Perhaps that is the impact of having the sisters I have, perhaps I am starved of all human contact and that is why." I feel my cheeks flush red, even if I do not want them to.

"You are drawn to me as I am drawn to you. Perhaps that is the artist in each of us." He rises to his feet, offering me his arm carefully. "Speaking of art, I do believe that I owe you a dance. Shall I accompany you back to the ballroom or do you worry that lady whistledown will think the unthinkable?"

"You are as much of a fool as I am."