Improper to say

I am delighted to discover that this dance is in the gallery, and that between boring conversations with boring men, I shall be able to take in the glory of the paintings. I recognise at an instant that my friend, Henry Granville is there. I must not reveal too much of our friendship, or else it would raise suspicions with my mother. I must be polite but not friendly, not more than I would be to someone such as Berbrooke or Hastings. "Lord Granville, is this one of your own?"

"Lady Featherington. It is indeed. Do you enjoy it?" He glances to me, understanding the same that I do. After all, any ruin that the reveal of his parties would do for me, it would do tenfold for him. I do believe that his reputation would suffer beyond repair. "If I recall correctly, you are a pursuer of the arts, are you not? Shall I find any originals in the gallery as I cast my eye around?"

"Not this year, my lord, but I strive for next year." I nod politely, excusing myself as I see Benedict hovering around the table with two glasses of champagne in his hand. "Would it be ever so terrible if I assume that one of those glasses must be for myself? I see no other reason you would pick up two."

"Actually, my lady, one was for my darling sister. Only she seems to have disappeared, and so I do believe it now belongs to you." He is gentle as he moves the dainty cup from his own grip and into my own. "I do imagine that you were thrilled when you heard of the location of our latest rendezvous. And I am thrilled to see the change in colour dress, this colour suits you much better. I must say, I find you rather ravishing in this colour. Is that improper to say?"

"I do not believe my mother would be too enamoured with the idea of me being called ravishing, but I do not mind... I was thrilled, indeed. My mother told me only moments before we were due to arrive, I do believe she did not want me to become too excited." I take a sip from the glass, still grimacing at the taste. I do believe that no matter how many balls I shall attend, I shall never become accustomed to the taste of champagne. "I must apologise, my lord. I did not reply to your letter last night, terribly rude of me."

"Oh, did you not? I must admit, I hardly noticed. It is not as though I sit around all day in anticipation for your letter arriving." I have to look at him to be sure that is teasing, as he gives me an entertained grin. "Nevermind that. I do believe I have had enough champagne that dancing may not be so embarrassing for me any longer. Do you care to join me or shall I perhaps ask prudence?"

"You have joked about this before, but you should be harming no one other than yourself if you asked prudence to join you." I smile and take his hand as he guides me towards the ballroom floor, waiting until he can join the beat before he leads me through the waltz. "My lord, may I ask you something?"

"That is all dependent on what it is you would like to ask me." His grip is tight on my waist, his other hand closed around my own. I do wonder how young lady such as myself are not allowed into a room unsupervised with a man, yet on the dance floor, it is not unknown for a hand or two to slip slightly lower than the waist. "Do ask, and then I shall decide whether I should like to answer it or not."

The words cannot leave my mouth. I am intending to ask him whether he is ever thinking of proposing to me, whether there is any inclination that he should marry me. And so, instead, I ask the only other thing I could think of. "Do you believe Collin has any feelings for Penelope?"

"Ah. So you have noticed that too. I did worry that I was looking too deeply into it. I have seen the way that Penelope gazes at him, I often see that she asks him to dance or fetches him drinks and such. Unfortunately, I do not think Collin returns such affections. She is a dear friend only to him. I do believe he is more interested in Miss Marina Thompson." He keeps in beat to the music, and he does a good job in guiding me as well, so that I am never a step off time. "I do feel such pity for Pen. It must be the most horrific feeling to be in love with someone that does not love you in return. Do you not think?"

"I do wonder." The music comes to a sudden halt as there is a commotion at the front of the ballroom. I do not know what it is, and I do not care so much either, but everyone strides to see what is happening, gasping in shock and delight, and so I do step to discover what it is all about. Before I do, I see the Duke of Hastings and Daphne Bridgerton emerging from a back room, unaccompanied. She seems to notice me watching her, and so breaks my eye contact and surges forward to involve herself in the antics. The duke watches me for a brief moment, before following the lady.

It is Cressida Cowper, who has feigned a swoon, and has been caught by Prince Friedrich. My sisters were clapping hysterically, cheering and talking about how wonderful it was, and just how lovely the couple were, whilst my mother stands and glares as though she is jealous. If she ever thought that one of us would even be considered by the prince then she was sincerely wrong and completely delusional.

Benedict seems to be watching the events with the same boredom as myself. I do find actions such as the one cressida has performed to be incredibly embarrassing, and I do think I would rather hang myself by my ribbon before I attempted it myself.