10.4

CHAPTER FOUR

Shake and Break

- - - - -

AVENGERS FACILITY
NEW YORK
TEN MONTHS AFTER THE SNAP

"This doesn't feel right, Tony."

Ana had her arms crossed over her chest as she watched the body of a fallen Avenger be wheeled into the back of a S.W.O.R.D. branded truck. Agents were all over the compound. She didn't like it. Compared it to ants infesting a home. Carol on the other hand was very accommodating, seeing as the government intelligence agency, Sentient Weapon Observation and Response Division, was founded by none other than her best friend, Maria Rambeau. Unfortunately, Maria was bed ridden at a hospital. Ana wasn't privy to the why, but it looked like Maria had sent her successor in her place to tie up a few loose ends. It was the governments way of trying to tidy up the world after the Snap had dusted countless officials in every agency. They were behind in their work. Still aiming to rebuild the nation. Ana thought it was questionable that their first efforts were to procure certain 'weapons' as S.W.O.R.D. had put it, but at the same time, she wasn't surprised.

Tony was standing beside her on the lawn, a coffee in hand. He adjusted the expensive sunglasses he wore and sniffed. The sun wasn't out. He was just tired. He didn't want to admit how much it bothered him that the synthetic android who once embodied the voice he grew up with was being taken away by people he barely knew. He couldn't get the image of the whitened body with a gaping hole in the forehead out of his mind. Tony elbowed Ana, "For the hundredth time, little lady, it's out of my hands." He said.

Ana's eyes narrowed as the doors to the oversized cargo truck locked shut at the press of a button. She could hear the locks fasten one by one on the inside. At least they were keeping him well protected. The agent standing behind the truck with the controls called out to his superior officer that the cargo was secured. Ana's eyes narrowed slightly at the word cargo.

"I don't care. Vision was one of us." Ana muttered under her breath after she noticed the Acting Director and Carol walk in their direction. Since meeting Carol, Ana had some time to get to know her, and the other way around. Despite most of her history being classified, Carol openly shared her past with Ana after realising who Marc was to her. Including the mystery surrounding Fury's left eye. Ana was still in denial on that one. There was a sense of trust between her and Carol. It formed easily and strengthened at every moment. After all, Ana had lost many of her friends. Natasha liked to remind her that it was about time she made new ones.

"You know what they're gonna do to him, don't you?" Ana whispered.

Tony dipped his glasses and faced her with a frown on his tiresome face. "Don't remind me."

Carol stepped up and motioned to the man who was in charge of the whole operation. His hair was greying, showing his age. He wore a black windbreaker over a suit and tie. Looked like your average government guy. Nothing about him bothered Ana — and that bothered her. "Guys, this is Tyler Hayward. He's the man watching over S.W.O.R.D. for Director Rambeau." Carol introduced.

Tony didn't extend his hands and sipped his coffee. "You know who I am."

Ana wanted to follow Stark's inspiring lead so very badly, but the sharp look Carol gave her made her think otherwise. Ana smothered in a sigh and shook Tyler's hand, feeling him tense underneath her grip. "Ana." She introduced herself shortly.

Tyler sent them both a tight-lipped smile. "I know what you're thinking. We're the bad guys taking your friend's body away into secure storage. But the Vision had set this up once he signed the Sokovia Accords. Section 36-B, to be precise. We're only honouring his last wishes." He explained.