1.2

CHAPTER TWO

Keep The Family Close

- - - - -

EARTH-616

For some reason, the day felt cold. The skies weren't a vibrant blue, instead a dull grey. People stayed indoors, and business was slow. Everyone turned to their tv's and watched as Tony Stark, the new Director of SHIELD, attended a press conference. He wanted — tried — to speak on the subject of his new team of Avengers. But the tragic passing of their nation's hero was still fresh in everybody's mind's, and questions about Steve were thrown Tony's way.

Ana was on a bus to Washington, sitting at the back in the window seat so she could lay her head on it. She hadn't left this world yet, because of the feeling in the pit of her stomach that prevented her from going back home. She was scared. Afraid of anymore unwanted surprises. She wasn't sure how much longer she'd stay, though she wanted to heal completely before leaving since her stomach wound was still a pain. There was a small tv at the front of the bus and it was like she was the only one paying attention to it. The other passengers were either sleeping or reading a book, and keeping to themselves.

"What about Captain America, Mr. Stark? How mighty can your Avengers be without a new Captain America?" A male reported questioned, almost harshly. "Doesn't America need someone to take up that mantle, fighting on our side?"

Tony looked directly to the reporter, and as the camera focused on him standing behind a podium, you could see the tiredness in his focus. "I've answered this questioned several times over the last few days, and nothing has changed. There will be no new Captain America. Steve Rogers was the finest man I ever met, and it's a national tragedy that he's been taken from us. So no-one else will wear his mask or carry his shield. Consider them retired. Next question..."

Ana let out a sigh and settled her head back against the head rest, closing her eyes. She wanted to visit the Smithsonian Museum for old times sake. Steve's uniform and shield would reportedly be apart of the Captain America exhibit. Years ago her attempt to see the exhibition was foiled by Hydra as they aided the Winter Soldier in trying to assassinate Nick Fury. While she was here she thought it wouldn't hurt to visit the museum.

"This seat taken?"

The familiar voice made her eyes snap open, and she looked up at Bucky. He stood with one hand resting on the overhead storage level while the other gripped the strap of his backpack. She did not expect for them to see each other again so soon, and judging by the look on his face, so didn't he.

Ana cleared her throat after a few seconds of staring at him and moved her shoulder bag that was open with a packet of potato puffs, laying it on her lap. Just being in his presence managed to send her mind into overdrive. She gestured to the now free seat and sent him a wry smile, "All yours, James."

Bucky nodded in thanks and slid next to her, dropping his heavy bag in-between his legs. By doing so, he accidentally knocked knees with her and mumbled an apology, to which she waved off.

"What's in Washington?" Ana questioned. She offered him her snack, and watched as he took a few in his gloved hands.

"Cap's shield. And I'm guessing that's where you're heading." He said, throwing the bites into his mouth.

"I've always wanted to see the exhibition. Thought now was a good a time as any." Ana replied, a soft smile gracing her features. "But there's no doubt the shield, and suit, are just replicas. No one in there right minds would unveil the real thing to the public."