Chapter 45: A Few Hours Alone

The sun beat down on Zuko's pale skin as he and Sokka arrived at his family's old summer home on Ember Island. It felt strange being back on the island after what had happened with general Lao, but it also felt good to be away from the palace with Sokka.

The maids had done an incredible job cleaning up the place, even going so far as to reorganize the kitchen and living room to make them more comfortable for the group.

Zuko and Sokka set down their bags at the foot of the bed in the house's master bedroom. While Sokka started unpacking Zuko went to the master bath and splashed some cold water on his face. When he walked back out he looked around the room, only to find that Sokka wasn't there anymore.

"Sokka?" Zuko called out, thinking he might have forgotten something in the carriage and was just outside the room. He looked out the window, and the carriage had already left.

Zuko walked over to the bed and unzipped his bags. Wherever Sokka was, he was sure he would be back soon enough. He started unpacking, laying out his clothes and smoothing out the wrinkles that had formed from being jostled around on the trip.

He grabbed an armful of clothes and walked over to the closet and hung them up meticulously. He closed the closet and turned back around, only to be slammed against the wooden door by Sokka. He held Zuko's wrists up against the door with a suggestive smirk spread across his face.

"What are you doing? The others will be here soon," Zuko asked, obviously flustered by Sokka's surprise.

"We've still got a few hours to ourselves," Sokka said and began kissing Zuko's neck.

Zuko tensed up and his heart started racing. He hadn't told Sokka that he had never done anything like this with anyone else before, and he didn't want to upset him.

"Sokka I..." Zuko started to say as the water tribe boy slowly moved his way up his neck and towards his face. He couldn't get the words out and in his panic, he forcefully pushed Sokka away.

"What's wrong?" Sokka asked, his facial expression changing from a seductive look to a confused and sad one.

"Nothing I..." Zuko said and froze up. "It's just I... I've never had sex with anyone before."

The shame and embarrassment were displayed all of his face, and he wanted to run and hide somewhere away from Sokka.

"Zuko... I... I didn't know," Sokka said and took a few steps back to give him some space, "if I had known I wouldn't have come on so strongly. I'm so sorry!"

Zuko's heart rate returned to normal and he felt awful. He loved Sokka so much, but he just wasn't ready for their relationship to move that fast.

"I just need more time before I'm ready for that," Zuko said and walked over to Sokka and held his hand.

"I love you boomerang boy," Zuko said and kissed Sokka gently. Sokka smiled and it made Zuko feel better too.

"What do you say we finish unpacking so we can be ready by the time everyone else gets here?" Zuko asked.

"Only if you promise me a late-night walk on the beach," Sokka said and had a look of satisfaction on his face.

"You always know how to get what you want," Zuko said and Sokka grinned knowing he had won.