Love Me Not

Chapter Six

Kaelani Bear Eden

Have you ever felt so out of place, you just wanted to dig a hole and hide out until everybody left?

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt at this moment.

When the group told me it was a family bonfire. I expected their parents showing up with siblings and maybe cousins.

Since my family had consisted of my parents and my siblings for as long as I remembered. I always thought big families were rare.

So showing up to the shore, I was nervous. But that feeling was multiplied as I took in exactly how big this bonfire was.

The darkening sky had no effect on the family that lounged around the shore. Some even daring to go into the freezing water!

They took up every inch on the beach I could get my eye on.

They were over a hundred people!

"Come! I want you to meet my parents!" Orion shouted to me pulling my arm as she lead me through the crowd.

I had no idea how she was going to be able to spot her parents in this crowd. With the music blaring Banks. The swaying teenagers and the laughter of the adults all compacted to one area.

This reminded me of California. The over populated beaches. Where you practically laid to tan next to a complete stranger. Hoping they weren't creeps or freaks.

"Orion!" Pulling on her arm to stop her, I pointed over to a tall guy stalking over to us.

He was the same guy who had glared at me on the field.

Rubbing my fingers i casted my eyes down as his blue eyes glared straight into my Hazel eyes.

He scared me. He was tall with wide shoulders and a firm jaw. That tightened and ticked every time he saw me.

"Zephyr! Hey! Come meet my new friend!" Orion shouted causing some of the crowd to turn and look at me. Some in surprise, and others in hostility. Like I was invading their private time.

Maybe I was? This was after all a family bonfire.

"That's whom I came to speak about O. Come with me." Holding out his hand, I could continue to feel his gaze on me. Like I had run over his cat and laughed about it.

Like I was a sick and demented person!

What had I done to him? Other than breathe.

"Some guys are overly confident, pompous assholes Kaelani. They will act like they rule the damn world. And those are the guys you should stay the hell away from. All they want is more. More money. More attention. More woman."

Kai had told me once, when I told him I had a crush on Frankie McAdam. A complete womanizer but so damn cute.

But as always I took everything Kai said and acted on it.

Hell if he had told me to jump off a building. I'd probably say which one.

He was my protector, my other half. My brother that had held me as I cried countless times. Who had embarrassingly been there as I got my first period and brought me a chocolate milk shake.

He was there for every moment in my life. I had no idea how to live without him by my side.

Even now. He may not be physically with me. But his words and his actions lead me. My actions, my words - everything.