15| Prove

Chapter 15: Prove (Venus's POV)

It was Friday and today my dad was picking me up from school. We have another party to attend tonight. So, he's coming back early from work and taking me home.

While I stood there, waiting for my father's car, I felt someone taking the spot beside me. I looked over, seeing Caden.

Throughout the week, he's been trying really hard. I don't know if he realizes that though. It seems as though he just thinks of all this as... a game. Like he has to do all this in order to win me. And that's exactly how it is.

But I'm starting to doubt myself. I've never been with a guy in any way, so can I even tolerate all this and not fall for him? Can I truly keep it casual?

"Venus," he sang.

"What do you want?" I asked, not looking at him, too busy making sure my dad wasn't anywhere near.

"Are you coming tonight?" he questioned. "To Mason's?"

Mason's dad is the one hosting their party. There will be a lot of people but not so many that he needs to host at a hotel. So it's at their mansion.

"Yes, I'll be there," I said, turning to him. "With my family."

He nodded slowly. "I'll take the risk."

My eyes widened. "No," I said quickly. "No, you won't."

"Why not?" he asked, leaning in just a tad bit.

"Because my father will kill you," I said in a 'isn't it obvious?' kind of way.

"Just for talking to you?"

I stared at him incredulously.

"Venus!"

I jumped, looking to the front where my father was pulling up in his car. I glanced at Caden, rushing over to the car. I put my bag in the backseat and then sat at the front.

"What were you doing?" he asked, not giving one shit that Caden could hear. In fact, he asked me while glaring directly at Caden.

"Nothing," I mumbled, pulling my seatbelt on.

"What were you talking about?" he asked, still not driving.

"Dad..." I figured out pretty quickly that he wasn't going to drive until I told him with Caden right there. "We were arguing," I lied.

"About?" he interrogated, arching a brow at me sharply.

"About why she shouldn't be there tonight," Caden said, adjusting his bag on one shoulder.

"And why is that?" my dad asked him.

Caden stepped closer to the car, resting his hand on my door. "Because so will I. Have a good day, Mr. Princeton. Venus," he smirked at me before walking over to his car.

"I didn't know they would be there tonight," my dad mumbled as he started driving.

"Me neither. That's why we were arguing."

"Was he warning you not to come?"

I nodded, lying from my soul.

"So he's threatening you now?"

"What?"

"He thinks they're so much better than us, doesn't he?"

"Dad."

"We'll show them tonight."

"No, no, no, dad-"

"We'll prove it."