21 | school

August 24th 2019

and just as quick as summer came. it went. it was suddenly gone. I tried the last few days to soak in as much of the summer feeling as i could, but suddenly i found myself waking up on the first day of school. the whole month of august so far had slipped through my fingers so swiftly and when I tried to hold onto it it only fell away faster.

most people make a big deal out of the first day of school. especially high school, but i've moved around so much and been through too many first days and new schools to really even care about starting high school today.

i roll out of bed about ten minutes before we have to leave. i loosely braid my hair and throw on some natural makeup. i picked out my outfit the night before. i threw on a dark purple cropped tank top and loose black jean shorts shorts paired with my white af 1s and nike socks.

"cute." Jordyn peeks her head in my room.

"shut up." i shake my head and grab a gold necklace from my dresser.

"nervous?" Jordyn now steps all the way into my room.

"as if." i clip on the necklace and stare at my reflection in my round mirror, "the only thing that i'm in the least bit worried about is my school photos. i feel cursed."

"last year's was pretty funny." Jordyn laughs and i shoot her a look.

"i can't believe mom still has it up in the living room." Evelyn bursts in with a grin ear to ear.

last year right before school photos were being taken the teachers thought it'd be a grand idea to have our egg drop contest in science. long story short i'm allergic to eggs and when my contraption failed all i got was yolk in the face and i D+. the part of my face where the yolk had been was swelled up for the entire rest of the day.

"good thing i don't have to worry about it today i don't think we're taking them til next week." i say.

"hey girls!" my mom now enters my room with a grin and camera in hand. "time for first day of school pics!"

"can everyone get out of my room?" i smile sarcastically at my family who thinks it's okay to just come in my room whenever they feel like it. ever heard of privacy, Evans?

"course hun." My mom puts her arm around Evelyn and leads her out. Jordyn stays staring at me for a few moments while i'm spraying perfume.

"the door?" i point to the door my mom and Evelyn had left wide open.

"i just wanted to let you know." she steps closer to me, "i'm a whole week clean." a sweet smile plastered on her face.

"that's great Jordyn." i give her a half smile back.

"it's a start." she nods, "Troy is helping me fight the urges."

"you really like Troy, huh?" i ask.

"yeah, i do. and unlike you i'm not scared to admit my feelings." she raises an eyebrow.

"you know everything turned out perfect in the end." i roll my eyes.

"the end?" she stands up straighter, "Brinley it's only the beginning. who knows if you and Benny will last forever."

"what kind of speech is that?" i furrow my eyebrows. "what the hell Jordyn are you implying Benny and i are not gonna last?"

"no, it's just... you never know." she shrugs. "you're young, so am i, but you're really young. i feel like right now you're just testing the waters. you have no clue how twisted and complicated this world is and how love is. i truly do hope you and Benny make it, but it's never a for sure thing."