chapter 6 | used to

June 19th 2019

SUNLIGHT SPILLED INTO my bedroom, showing dust floating in the air. i sat up in my bed, looked around my room, and felt somewhat unsatisfied about how my room felt. i hadn't really had a lot of time to fix it up since we moved in. but now that i had two more days of a grounding, i suddenly felt the urge to redo my room.

i started off with my bed, pushing it along the carpet. i got Jordyn's old bed when we moved here, and she got a new one. Her old one has a black metal frame. it wouldn't be my first choice, but i can work with what i have. i moved it from in front of my window, over to the middle of my room so i'd have space on either side. I then moved my dresser to the other side of my room, and hung cute photos and stuff i got off pinterest over it. i finished up the look by stealing black-strip hanging lights from Evelyn's room, and hanging them above my head. what? she'll never notice. i'm really proud of the finished product:

I felt better in my room now that i had it the way i wanted

Йой! Нажаль, це зображення не відповідає нашим правилам. Щоб продовжити публікацію, будь ласка, видаліть його або завантажте інше.

I felt better in my room now that i had it the way i wanted.

Now it was only eleven o'clock, and i had a whole day and a half more of grounding. i plopped down on my bed and groaned into my pillow.

"dramatic much?" Evelyn walks into my room and sets my ipad down at the foot of my bed. "it's dead by the way." she smirked.

"get out." i roll my eyes. but she doesn't get out. she walks over to my dresser, picks up my blue LA baseball cap, and puts it on her head.

"hey, don't touch my things." i warn her.

"chill it's just a stupid hat." she puts it back. but i didn't really care if it was "just a hat" it was my hat, and she had no reason to come in my room and mess with my stuff.

"so this is what you spent your morning doing." Evelyn looks around my room.

"do you like it?"

"it's really basic." she says judgmentally, "you can keep my lights by the way." she says then starts to walk out of my room, "oh wait." she turns around, "your little boyfriend dropped something off this morning. it's on the kitchen table."

"what is it?" i ask.

"why don't you go see for yourself?" she then turns around and walks out of my room again. my god she drives me insane.

i walk downstairs to the dining room to find a small envelope. i open it up to see a letter, it read:

window chat at 8pm. be there:) -benny

my mood lifted. window chat sounds tacky and childish, but we came up with it when we were just six. there were no phones or anything to text or call each other at the time, so we would sit at our windows and shout across the road to each other. our neighbors probably hated us, but it was really fun. and technically that's not leaving the house.

i had been so happy that he still remembered that, that i didn't even hear my mom come up behind me before she said "window chat? isn't that the thing where you guys yelled at each other from your windows?"