chapter 9 | truth or dare

June 26th 2019

SAYING GOODBYE to my dad was hard. no one knew when he was going to be coming back to visit. but i knew this was the best thing. maybe.

after saying our goodbyes and i love you's i headed over to Benny's to find out from his brother that he had already left for the sandlot. Jordyn has decided not to join me today. she's  pretty torn up about my dad leaving for who knows how long. don't get me wrong i am too, but i know how to push my feelings aside for a certain amount of time and contain them. Jordyn has no control over her emotions sometimes.

when i got to the sandlot the game was going on like normal. when they saw me though, they all headed to the dugout for a break. i guess i was their excuse. Benny wasn't too happy, though. it was kind of funny i could tell that he was annoyed that they used me just arriving as an excuse for a break. that's the thing about Benny. his passion for baseball never faded. he never wanted to stop playing. pretty much everyone knows he's going to move on to bigger, better things one day.

Benny slides down the bench in the dugout to be sitting beside me. "the camp out is on." he smiles.

"really? tonight is going to be so fun." i smile back at him.

"how did things go this morning?" he asks sincerely.

"you know, i thought i'd be more sad. turns out i've kind of known all along that this is the best thing for all of us." i reply.

"well i know it's a good thing for me." Benny casually looks out at the sandlot.

"why's that?" i ask.

"because now i get to have you with me everyday." he blushes and so do i.

from the other side of me i feel an elbow to the ribs. "ow." i look over to see Kenny smirking at me. "DeNunez quit eves dropping." i laugh and elbow him back.

Ham walks in front of us and glances at an invisible watch on his wrist. "Benny you've gone approximately 5 minutes without telling us to get back on the field. are you okay?"

all the boys in the dugout laugh, "yeah, yeah shut up ham." Benny gets up and starts making his way back to the field.

"you can't steal my phrase like that!" Yeah-yeah points at Benny.

"i didn't!" Benny throws his arms up in the air for defense.

"yeah, yeah you did." yeah-yeah says and everyone starts laughing again. man i love these guys. they turn bad days into the most interesting, fun ones.

when we got back to the field i was first at bat. "gimme your heater DeNunez." i say with confidence getting in batting stance.

"are you sure? my heaters are real heaters today i can feel it." Kenny laughs.

"shut up and pitch the ball Kenny." i nod his way jokingly.

DeNunez pitches his famous heater, i swing the bat, and that baseball goes flying into the beast's backyard. i skipped along from base to base jokingly being cocky. i do i little front walkover at the end. i self taught myself gymnastics sometimes when i was bored.

"woah. you need to teach me how to do that!" Benny's face lights up.

"as soon as you finish teaching me how to do a backflip." i reply with a smirk.

Benny picks up the bat, " you think you got skills? watch this." he nods my way signaling that he was trying to outdo me.

Kenny pitches, Benny swings, and he misses, to everyone's surprise. "striiiike one!" Ham throws the ball back to DeNunez.