chapter 5 | grounded

June 18th, 2019

I ROLLED OUT OF BED and was surprised to see that i had slept for 13 hours. but i wasn't surprised to find that Jordyn was still sleeping. it was 6pm and i had missed a whole day at the sandlot. now i knew my whole sleep schedule was going to be messed up, which made mad.

i went downstairs to get something to eat, the cold kitchen tile freezing my feet.

"how did you sleep so late?" i look up to see my mom at the island sipping tea with a book in front of her.

"oh actually i just spent the whole day resting in my room on my phone. i wasn't actually alsleep." i lied.

"hm." my mom looked back to her book, "were you watching youtube videos of people snoring?"

so she had caught me. there wasn't much i could do or say to change the wrath that was going to come down on me and my sisters.

"your dad and i heard you guys leave and come back last night. or should i say morning." my mom still staring at her book.

"ok so what's our punishment? just get it over with." i say putting my hand over my face.

"grounded for three days." she finally looked up at me, "all three of you aren't going to leave this house for three days."

i honestly didn't even care at this point because to me three days didn't seem that bad for what we did, but on the other hand that meant i couldn't go to the sandlot for three days. i left the kitchen without a word, and also without food, before my mom could extend the grounding.

i went back to my room, plopped down on my bed, and fell asleep within seconds.

-

i wake up to a knocking sound. i look at my phone and it's 7:30pm now, but the sun still shining. i hadn't eaten since taco bell and my stomach was grumbling.

the knocking continued, but it was coming from Jordyn's door. finally Jordyn grumbled "what do you want?" i could tell that she had just woken up.

"i'm going for a run. watch your sisters, don't leave the house, and don't let them leave the house." my mom yelled through her door. i put a pillow over my face because her room was right next to mine and my mom yelling gave me a headache.

when i heard the front door open and close, and was sure my mom had left, i started making my way to the kitchen to eat something. Evelyn was curled in a ball with a blanket in the living room watching spongebob. i could tell by the bags under her eyes that she was tired too.

i heated up some pizza rolls and went over to eat them on the couch with Evelyn.

"want some?" i held out the plate to her.

"nah i'm good." she said with her eyes glued to the tv.

"your loss." i chuckle a little and shrug.

*ding dong*

the doorbell rings. "i'll get that." i say with a mouth full of pizza rolls.

"good cuz i wasn't gonna." Evelyn says with eyes still on the tv.

i open the door and it's Benny. i was a little embarrassed because i looked like crap. my hair was in a messy bun and i had an oversized hoodie on with lululemon shorts.

"hi." i say with a smile.

"hey." he returns a smile.

there was silence for a few seconds. "did you need something?" i ask finally and we both laugh a little.