chapter 8 | split

June 25th 2019

THE LAST THREE DAYS were just a normal routine. nothing out of the ordinary happened except Jordyn now started coming to the sandlot everyday.

also, my family and the Rodriguez's met for dinner one night. that was nice too because we were also good family friends. Benny's brother Owen is Jordyn's age, but they were never friends before we moved. i'd say they were definitely friends after the dinner though.

Jordyn and i walked up to our porch after an exhausting, but fun, day at the sandlot. but then we both turn our heads together at the same time to see Evelyn on one of the chairs, crying. woah. i never see her cry. but Jordyn didn't seem surprised. she just walked over to her and wrapped her arms around her. why do i feel like they are keeping something from me?

"what's wrong?" i finally ask.

"you'll find out soon." Jordyn says quietly.

"no i'm your sister. and if you guys are both keeping something from me, and it has to do with me, i think i have the right to know." i was worried now.

"ok..." Jordyn starts, " so basically-" the front door opening cuts her off.

"oh there you are girls." my mom smiles. "cmon inside we need to have a family talk." she waves us in.

"i think you're about to find out." Jordyn whispers.

me, Jordyn, and Evelyn all sit down on the couch, while our parents sit on the loveseat. they look nervous.

"ok girls." My dad starts. "your mother and i have made the decision to get a divorce." i felt like a knife went through my heart, even though it was probably what was best for my family.

"you'll still have both of us. we're not going anywhere. but we thought it was better if at this point in your lives that we settle down to one area, and stop moving you guys all over the country. we don't think it's good for you." my mom's eyes start to water.

"we love each other." my dad's voice cracks, "but sometimes we need to do what's best for you guys. i need my job, and my job needs me. i need to keep traveling wherever my company needs me to go."

"yes, and we've thought this through for a long time now. we want you guys to have one place to live. no more moving, okay?" a tear slides down my mother's cheek and she half-smiles.

how could my sisters keep a secret like that from me. Evelyn was sobbing into Jordyn's shoulder, and Jordyn was silently crying, but at least they were prepared for this. i got no warning. i felt like any second i was about to burst with pain and fury. so i got up, and ran. i ran out my front door, and to the only other place i felt like home. Benny's house.

tears streamed down my face as my feet ran across the rough pavement. i knocked on the door and Benny opened it.

"hey hey hey what's wrong?" he immediately takes me into his arms. my sobs don't fade, though. with his left arm around my waist and his right arm holding my head to his chest, i felt safe in his arms. even his scent just made me feel at home. more home than my real one at this point. well i've heard that saying. "home is where your heart is" well yeah. my heart is with Benny, and i finally realized that.

"it's my parents." i could barely even get a sentence out between sobs.

"hey it's okay, relax. what happened to your parents?" his voice was really calming.

"they're splitting up." i finally blurted out and pulled away from Benny, wiping my eyes.

"i'm so sorry Brynn." he looks at me so sincerely, "i know exactly how you feel." Benny's dad had just up and left their family when he was just seven. i went through that with him back then, and i remember all the pain i helped him through.