20: Friends and Foes

I plopped down next to her on the log, playing with my pistol.

"I'm filling in for Audrey." I said timidly.

"I see." She scanned my figure. She didn't look impressed.

"I just have to ask, how far into it are you? Has he told you that you are his sun and he is the moon?"

Anger boiled within me. "No, actually we aren't in a relationship."

"Nah, that isn't like him. Every girl he sees he has to pull moves on her. If he knows her or not."

"I already said I'm not in a relationship with him. I have a fiancé back home." I wasn't completely lying, only two thirds lying.

"Why did you leave him then?"

Great. "I left to go find him. He went hunting one day and never came back. I thought he wandered into this area so I tagged along with Ryan."

"And he hasn't pulled moves on you? Usually being in a relationship will make him want you more."

"Can we please get off the topic? I told you all I have to tell you."

She didn't say anything after that.

I saw Ryan creeping behind a trailer. He was going to wake me up so we could spend some time alone together. Kiera saw him too.

"Hey Ryan!" She called.

He turned and saw me sitting there. His eyes grew wide.

"Why so secretive?" She called again.

"Well when I am going to take a crap I try to be discreet about it." I love him so much.

"Your friend here tells me you're single. Don't suppose you came back for me."

He took a deep breath. "It's over now. That's long gone."

"So you're saying you will give me a chance?"

"All I said was you can stop bringing that up."

She scoffed and threw a rock at him.

"Missed me!" He yelled as he ran away.

"Jerk." She muttered.

"You'd be surprised at the people you believe to trust." I said.

"You got that right."

I saw movement from the corner of my eye. I turned around and saw a zombie trudging towards us.

"Zombie."

She turned and saw it too.

"I killed that one last week." She said.

"What?"

"I killed it. I shot it in the eye. It's a creeper. I remember it wearing those socks. And look at the bullet wound in its eye."

I lifted my gun and aimed it at it's other eye. I pulled the trigger and it slumped to the ground.

"Something is happening. The creeper numbers are multiplying. The virus is getting more contagious. They aren't dying as easily."

"Why do you think that is?" I asked.

"I think somebody is trying to make them multiply. Somebody is manipulating the virus. You know that place where Jack found you? That was a cure center. They were going to use you two for test subjects."

I almost threw up at the thought. Ryan and I could've been lab rats. It disgusted me.

"I think it's them. That center. They think this is the Armageddann and they don't want to suffer, they want to speed up the process."