3: The Reason

"Somehow they're getting in. And it's not through the Hole." Luther was addressing the creeper problem.

"We need to have twice as many eyes on this place at all times, and we need to find what we aren't blocking off."

"Did you check the lake?" My mother asked.

"It's not the lake. Arizona and I were down there. No creepers in sight." Debbi spoke up.

"I put up a new shift sheet in the armory. Load up and meet me by the truck."

I headed up to the armory. I couldn't wait to be on shift. It made me feel like I was being useful.

I read Luther's unlegible scribbles on the sheet.

I was on Debbi watch.

Why wouldn't he let me come? He had been acting really weird around me lately. I didn't know what had changed.

I grabbed my bow and stomped downstairs.

Lilac and Lilly were walking out the door together, their rifles slung over their shoulders.

"Hey guys." Their matching blond heads faced me simultaneously.

"Does Luther have something against me?" I asked.

They looked at each other and smiled.

"No." Lilac said.

They turned and walked out.

They were hiding something.

I sat down next to Debbi on the porch.

I watched as the large group started off into the forest. Josh and Winston, stayed back to guard the house. I didn't even make the cut for guard duty, all I get is baby duty.

We sat on the porch for a while, just sitting.

I played with the feathers on my arrows.

I sensed something was wrong.

I looked up and saw the boys still calmly guarding the forest.

I went inside and checked the back door. It was locked and chained as always.

I walked back out the front.

"Josh, watch Debbi for me will ya?" I said.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Dropped an arrow in the forest. Can't lose anymore ammo than we already have."

I wasn't taking anymore discussion. Something was up and obviously nobody else felt it.

I trekked deeper and deeper into the forest. I was almost at the fence when I heard a creeper snarling along with human grunts.

I readied my crossbow and walked towards the sound.

Jim was on the ground, wrestling a creeper that was on top of him. His gun was about six feet away and he slapped the zombie with his bare hands.

I fired my bow and the creeper slumped on top of him.

Jim saw the arrow and looked at me.

He shoved the zombie off of him and grabbed his gun.

"What are you doing out here?" He asked.

"I just saved your life and that is your question?!" Anger was boling up inside me.

"I could've fended for myself just find. You are supposed to be guarding Debbi."

"I'm not even doing anything! Winston and Josh have her under control just fine! I don't know what has been going on with you guys and I deserve an explanation!" I yelled.