forgiveness

june 8th, 1987

seattle, washington

"you two know each other?"

"you could say that," molly said, not talking her eyes off the blonde boy she hadn't seen in so long.

layne's mouth remained slightly open, still processing the sight of the girl in front of him.

just as he started to speak, molly cut him off.

"i've gotta get out of here," she mumbled, spinning around and rushing towards the double doors leading to the back porch.

standing nearly alone, save for a couple sharing a cigarette on the steps, molly ran her fingers through her hair.

there was absolutely no way layne fucking staley was standing in the room next to her.

taking a few steps forward, she glared at the couple for a minute before they noticed her stare.

they glanced confusedly between each other, then to molly, then back again.

"fucking get up," she snapped, waving her hands, "move."

they scrambled to their feet, eager to put some distance between themselves and the girl.

molly continued her glaring until the duo had disappeared back into the lively party.

sighing, she sat down on the previously occupied steps and pulled a pack of cigarettes out of her cardigan pocket.

lighting one, she inhaled deeply, blowing the smoke into the chilly night air as she tilted her head back. thoughts and memories raced through her mind, all revolving around one particular boy.

"can i bum one off you?"

molly jumped turning her head to identify the source of the voice.

"if i said no would you go away?"

"probable not," layne said, plopping down right next to molly.

wordlessly, she passed him a smoke. she raised her iridescent lighter to to his mouth. their eyes met, the flame seemingly flickering beneath the depths of his blue irises.

"i almost forgot what your eyes look like," she said softly, looking up at the night sky as she took another drag.

"am i allowed to say i'm offended?"

"no."

the blonde boy let out a chuckle, studying molly's face as she looked at the stars.

"would you stop staring," she muttered, eyes remaining on the sky.

"sorry," he mumbled, looking down at his hands.

molly sighed, leaving back onto her arms, "did you have something to say?" she said, lazily raising her cigarette to her mouth once again.

"what? no- i mean yes! i, uh-" layne took a deep breath, facing the girl.

"why did you run away?"

"i don't run away, rutherford."

layne groaned, "how may times have i told you to stop calling me that?"

"too many," molly said with a soft smirk.

the two sat in silence, listening to the noisy cicadas in the summer air.

"why did you run away star?" layne repeated quietly after a minute.

molly sighed deeply, putting her cigarette out on the wooden steps, "i guess i just- i just didn't expect to see you here. or see you at all. ever."

"damn, try not to sound so disappointed."

the girl rolled her eyes, shifting her body towards the boy.

"can you blame me?"

"you're not still mad at me?"

silence.

"molly, c'mon. that was so long ago. we were both so young. i didn't- i never meat to hurt you."

"you didn't expect me to be a little upset when you took my virginity, didn't talk to me for two weeks, and then made out with another girl in front of me on what could've been the last day i saw you?"

layne didn't have an answer for that.

"i'm sorry."

molly chuckled dryly, "that's what they all say."

"i'm serious molly!" he dropped to his knees in front of her, "what can i do for you to forgive me? i- i-"

"well this is a change of pace," she said with a smirk.

layne gave her a confused look.

"you on your knees."

the boy held back the urge to roll his eyes.

"c'mon star, i'll do anything," he pleaded, "i never thought i would see you again and now- now that you're here- i don't ever wanna lose you again."

molly's eyes softened.

"you know i could never stay mad at you for long."

"yeah, i guess three years isn't that long."

hope you liked the new chapter! what do we think about molly and layne's relationship? lmk in the comments, vote if you wanna. thank you so much for sticking with this story, it really means so much to me <3