June 2021 | First Kiss

Title: First Kiss (Thai title: รักสุดท้ายป้ายหน้า)

Genre: Romantic comedy

Duration: 1 hour 45 minutes

Type: Film

Synopsis: Sa, 25 years of age never had a boyfriend and has never kissed someone her entire life. While riding a bus from work, she meets Bass, a high school student, when they accidentally share a light kiss on the lips. Bass got hooked on the woman who's almost 10 years older than he is and is now determined to win her heart. Things got more complicated when Sa's first love comes back to her life and tries to win her heart as well. This encourages the high school boy to try even harder to win her heart.

Reasons for Recommendation: The main character, Sa, is so relatable. Because this is a romantic comedy, there are definitely plenty of embarrassing moments our main character experiences. It's nice that Sa isn't perfect because who is? She has a fantasy about her first kiss and how perfect it will be now that her first love, Ohm, has returned. However, his attempts to kiss Sa are impeded by Bass, who seems to be interested in Sa.

Bass has a little brother attitude in which he desires bothering Sa with every moment he can find because of how hard of a time she gave him when he took her phone after their accidental kiss. It's fun watching him fall in love with her as the movie progresses because we get to see Sa and bass from a different perspective.

Ohm is an unlikeable character in the beginning because he returns to pursue Sa within the first thirty minutes of the film, but it's revealed that he's already got another woman and they plan to marry! Even though he ends up breaking up with Pam to be with Sa, it's hard to sympathize with him because Sa has already moved on with Bass and is happy.

This film is filled with a lot of drama, but there are also plenty of comedic moments. When Sa's gay friend talks about how horrible his first kiss is, it's difficult not to laugh along with him because it's such a relatable moment. Whenever her friends are on screen, the music changes and blends with the dialogue and character thoughts very well. It's very light-hearted, so it doesn't overpower what's happening in the film.

There are a lot of complexities to this drama; family conflict, ageism, and romance, but the moral of the story is quite beautiful. The point of the movie is to follow your heart no matter what.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

What sounded interesting? What didn't work for you?

Remember: if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines. Until next month!