November 2023 | Happiness

Media Review written by: djthecrazycatlady

Title of Work: Happiness [Hangul: 해피니스]

Genre: Thriller

Episodes: 12

Type: Korean Drama

This review will not contain spoilers.

~~~

Synopsis

Set in the near future, a high-rise apartment building has been newly constructed in the big city. The apartment building has residents from diverse backgrounds, but a new infectious disease breaks out. Because of the outbreak, the high-rise apartment is sealed off. The residents struggle to survive, while stricken with fear and distrust of others.

Important Characters in the Show:

Yoon Sae-Bom (Han Hyo-Joo) is a member of a special police squad. She is decisive, determined, and does not easily get rattled. She is excited to move into her new apartment but faces a crisis as soon as she moves there.

Jung Yi-Hyun (Park Hyung-Sik) is a detective. He is smart and honest. For a long time, he has held romantic feelings for Yoon Sae-Bom. They graduated from the same high school. Jung Yi-Hyun struggles to protect Yoon Sae-Bom and other people.

Han Tae-Seok (Jo Woo-Jin) is a lieutenant colonel and belongs to the health service command. He holds a key to the infectious disease outbreak.

Reasons for Recommendation:

Plot: 9/10

Viewers are introduced to a world like our own but not like our own. Happiness was released during the COVID-19 pandemic and thus includes it in the show. But here's where the plot twist really comes in. It takes place in an alternate universe where the creation of a weird drug is made and transforms those who consume it into flesh-eating monsters addicted to water, slowly losing their sanity as time passes and the transformation continues. The sickness is contained behind man made walls around two high-rise apartments and our heroes fight to protect each other and a young girl in order to put an end to the madness. But, I'm also biased due to the cast....

The Cast: 9/10

Again, I'm biased. I've watched so many shows with actor Park Hyung-Sik that every time I see him in something, my respect for his skills gets higher and higher! Additionally, actress Han Hyo-Joo portrayed her sassy and butt-kicking heroine perfectly!

Jo Woo-Jin's character is shown as stiff and uncaring, but moments in the show just compliment his impeccable skills as an actor. 

The Hints of Romance: 8/10

Now, I'm not much of a romance fanatic but let me tell you; it's brilliant and subtle here. It's hinted early on that Yi-Hyun had a crush on Sae-Bom. He was surprised when she suggested they get married (a dream come true for him, for sure!), and as the heroes remained in the apartment complex the more.... complex their relationship became! The ending is sure to bring many viewers joy!

Overall Impressions: 10/10

My absolute favorite show! The plot wasn't rushed and was fresh from other zombie stories. I've never enjoyed watching a show as much as I ever thought I would and the anticipation each week waiting for the newest episodes nearly made me want to pull my hair clean from my noggin!

The ending was sweet and tied up every single loose ending so don't expect plot holes! I loved each and every single character and how they were written (even the hidden villain!!!)