October 2021 | Iron Widow

Title: Iron Widow

Title: Iron Widow

Author: Xiran Jay Zhao

Genre: Science Fiction

Duration: 48 chapters (including epilogue)

Type: Published novel (September 22, 2021)

Synopsis: The boys of Huaxia dream of the celebrity status that comes with piloting Chrysalises – giant transforming robots that battle the aliens beyond the Great Wall. Their female co-pilots are expected to serve as concubines and sacrifice their lives.

When 18-year-old Zetian offers herself up as a concubine-pilot, her plan is to assassinate the ace male pilot responsible for her sister's death. But on miraculously emerging from the cockpit unscathed after her first battle, she is declared an Iron Widow – the most feared pilot of all.

Now that Zetian has had a taste of power, she sets her sights on bigger things. The time has come to stop more girls from being sacrificed.

Reasons for Recommendation (this is a spoiler-free commentary)

Cover: 5/5 - The cover is a stunning representation of East Asian mythology and reimagining of Wu Zetian. It's a fiery and powerful introduction to the thrilling science fiction tale of China's only female emperor.

Characters: 5/5

Zetian: A strong-willed character who will stop at nothing to avenge her sister. Her love for her sister is admirable and it's hard not to relate to her when we feel her grief in the beginning of the novel. We feel Zetian's frustrations and it's difficult not to hope that she will complete her revenge because we become so emotionally invested in her character so early on in the story. The reader will also find that themselves wishing for Zetian's happiness because she's trapped in a family, and also a time, in which they only use her to boost their family's significance. She fights valiantly against gender roles, proving she's a force to be reckoned with and no tradition will stand in her way.

Shimin: Li Shimin is the definition of not judging a book by its cover. When we're first introduced to Shimin, we're forced to fear him because of the stories of how he's always killed his partners. The little we know about him in the beginning is he's a death row inmate who killed his family but is spared from the death penalty because of his strong spiritual energy. However, as we learn more about Shimin, it's a pleasant surprise. We won't go into it further, you'll just have to read to find out!

Yizhi: Dubbed one of the richest men, Yizhi is after Zetian's heart. Promised a comfy life, Zetian can't forget about the way her sister died. Though it doesn't stop Yizhi from trying to persuade Zetian to be with him. Their romantic relationship serves as another catalyst and turning point in Zetian's transformation into the Iron Widow.

Plot: 5/5 - The story is captivating and will force the reader to tear through the book, page after page, enthralled by rich Chinese mythology and history. The presence of the Four Symbols as chrysalis is a unique concept we've never seen before! Part of the reason why Iron Widow is so interesting is the author's strong narration through Zetian. We feel her pain and we rejoice when she's victorious. By the time readers finish Iron Widow, they'll be begging for the sequel.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

Remember: if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines. Until next month!