July 2022 | When the Flowers Bloom

Title: When the Flowers Bloom

Genre: Historical Fantasy, Slice of Life

Chapters: 26, Completed

Type: Manhwa

Synopsis: Think of me whenever the flowers bloom.

Eungtae, a man destined to die young. Yeon, a woman whose childhood was cursed by the heavens. On a precious summer day beneath the blossoms of the trumpet vine, the two fall in love as fate intended. And in an instant, a shadow is cast over their future.

Reason for Recommendation:

When the Flowers Bloom is a historical fantasy Korean comic written by Cho Doo Jin, which is available via Manta Comics. The main characters in this story suffer from isolation, but for different reasons. Eungtae, the son of an official, is prophesized to die at a young age due to a beautiful woman. His father keeps him busy so that he won't have time to think about women, thus rendering the prophecy null. However, Eungtae strives for more, to have someone who's on his side. His desire for companionship is something we all may crave in today's age due to the pandemic.

Yeon, a woman blessed by beauty, is cursed. Her parents are told by another person that if she marries, she will experience great unhappiness, so they do what they can to keep her at home. Without a proper debut to the public, her parents fabricate an image about their daughter by saying she is ugly with an ugly heart. With everyone assuming she is a terrible person, no one seeks her hand in marriage. That is, until Eungtae's dad seeks to forge a bond between her and his son to keep the prophecy from coming true.

Although When the Flowers Bloom doesn't explore a lot of Korean history, the historical aesthetic is pleasing to the eye. It is a story that requires patience due to the frequents twists and turns and shocking reveals. Although this story is heavy with tragedy, it is a wonderful story with beautiful artwork, realistic characters, and a compelling narrative.

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

If you enjoyed this recommendation, let us know in the comments!

What sounded interesting? What didn't work for you?

Remember: if you have any recommendations, head on over to the Information chapter and check out the submission guidelines.

Until next month!