September 2023 | Tale of the Nine-Tailed

Title of Work: Tale of the Nine Tailed

(Korean:구미호뎐)

Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Suspense

Duration: 65–70 minutes, 16 episode, 2 seasons

Type: Drama

This review contains spoiler.

Synopsis: 7.5/10

Lee Yeon, a mythical nine-tailed fox that once served as the protector of the Baekdu-daegan mountain range, travels back and forth between this world and the hereafter hunting demons. He settles in the city and assumes human form, fully integrating into human society. TV producer Nam Ji Ah specialises in producing supernatural investigation shows. She is keen to get a real nine-tailed fox to appear on her TV show after learning that he lives in the city. The most dangerous nine-tailed fox is regarded to be Lee Rang, Lee Yeon's stepbrother. He despises people since he is half-human and uses his abilities to manipulate them.

The storyline was quite interesting and gave a lot of hope for a great fantasy drama, the drama did get me hooked at the start but could have done better towards the ending.

World Building: 8/10

Anyone interested in fantasy, historical, antsy, and romantic drama is going to have a good time watching this show.

In a tale that will live on in the audience's memories for a long time, the show does a fantastic job of examining the amazing mythology.

The past story of Lee Yeon and Lee Rang and the connection between Lee Yeon and Nam Ji-Ah from the old lover to the little girl he saved were well portrayed and well written.

The intriguing and positive present-day period was fun to watch especially Lee Rang and his reincarnated pet dog as a human, you will be able to witness the fantasy aspect in addition to the timeline changes because characters are given superhuman abilities.

Overall Impressions: 7.5/10

The brothers Lee Yeon and Lee Rang were without a doubt the most carefully considered aspect of the narrative because each of their characters had a great deal of depth, and their actors had great chemistry together on set. Lee Rang's resentment is made abundantly evident from the outset, and we are given background information regarding their highly tense relationship. We learn a lot more about his character as the story leaves more parts for us to place together. Even better, out of the entire ensemble, their relationship and Lee Rang's character have shown the most development. Even I, who in the early episodes didn't like Lee Rang, came to value his part in the narrative.

My favourite moment in the entire drama was Lee Rang engaging with his newfound family while grieving the loss of his brother and eventually, after such a long time, finding joy in the company of others. Although he didn't have a brother, he did have a family. The show's primary relationship doesn't seem to have a lot of intense chemistry, and since the first season is all about them, the entire production feels a little flat. While they are cute, I'm not passionate about them or want to focus on them as a couple.

Overall, It had a lot of plot holes, it was a good drama but could have been better in terms of the main leads, the parents and a happy ending for Lee Rang.