(15) The Cold Hearted

I emitted a soft groan as the haze of sleep lifted from my senses. My head was spinning and pounding. The smell of cold, wind and misty dew filled mornings wrapped around me and it made me want to purr. My vision began to focus and I noticed I was wrapped up in a duvet of black silk, the cool sleek fabric hugging to me. Not quite ready to get out of this bed just yet I roll over and pull the duvet higher up over my shoulders. I wanted to stay wrapped up like this forever, breathing in the wintery scent. A distant part of me whispered that I couldn't, however, it was a very distant part of me.

"Are you awake?" a flat voice calls from across the room. I didn't recognise that voice, but I still wasn't about to move. "ou t mlls nce" I mumble into the pillow snuggling further down. "What was that?" the voice chuckles. I tug the duvet further under my chin, smiling against the cool fabric. "No it smells nice" I grumble a little louder. Sleep was starting to become less and less likely now. "Like what?" the voice asks with no shortage of amusement. I huffed into the pillow, willing my head to stop spinning. "Like shut up and let me sleep" I sigh. I had no idea why they were still trying to talk to me. "That's not very nice Lil red" the voice chuckles. I lurch upright, shaking the sleep from my mind as I suddenly realise who's room I'm in. Quilo was lounging in a chair in front of a desk twirling a dagger with the point pressed into it. "You could've just killed me in my sleep instead of waiting for me to wake up, it would've avoided so much unnecessary conversation" I huff. moonlight cast shadows over the room from a nearby window. I noticed then the lack of personal belongings in the room. "Believe me Lil red I would've loved nothing more than to see an arrow through your neck but unfortunately I am not to blame for the... incident" he grumbles, "although I did wait for them to knock you out before I saved your ass." Who was to blame then? "my ass didn't need saving" I snarl, deciding I would rather have died than have Quilo save me. "Your gratitude is overwhelming" Quilo hisses and I hear the thud as he slams the dagger down onto the desk.

Right, someone wanted me dead, multiple someones wanted me dead. There hadn't been any anger behind their actions which told me they were probably hired by someone. But by who? I wasn't someone who was very publicly known and anyone outside of the castle wouldn't have known I'd be attending the ball. My father was a coward but he wouldn't send a group of humans to hunt me down like a wild animal, and even though he'd made it very clear he wouldn't be too put out if I wound up dead he still needed me. Quilo's father needed me too, surely I hadn't pissed him off enough for him to want me dead... right? My head was throbbing so much, although I had a feeling that was more to do with the champagne than the injury.

"And before you start throwing daggers at my head, even though I'm sure I could turn that fight to my advantage, Rosie dressed you but the t-shirt is courtesy of my wardrobe. We decided it wasn't safe to go back to your room in case she was followed" Quilo explains. Indeed, I was wearing an undeniably soft black t-shirt that was probably the comfiest thing I've ever worn. I look over at him and notice how his hair is all messy and he looks so tired I thought he might fall asleep then and there. "You look even more dreadful than usual" I observed sitting up, wincing at the dull ache in my head. "I couldn't exactly sleep while you're in my bed now could I?" he asks. No, he certainly could not, I probably would've woken up and smothered him with a pillow. "I'll just go back to my room. You need to sleep and I don't want to deal with a version of you that's even more grumpy than usual" I huff, standing from the bed and immediately regretting how quickly I stood when my head begins swimming. "The kings want you to go on this mission, we can't risk you being on your own" Quilo murmurs. I sit back on the bed and rub my temples in a feeble attempt to get rid of some of the pain. "Always looking after your best interests" I hiss.

"Do you know who wants me dead?" I ask, trying to make sense of it all. "Other than you of course." Quilo was silent, a silence that told me he was hiding something. "Quilo I need to know whatever it is you know. if I die you'll probably be forced to go with one of my sisters" I murmur. "What makes you think I wouldn't prefer that?" Quilo asks. "It would likely be Grace because my father wouldn't risk his heir being killed if he can help it and Grace is creepily obsessed with you, she keeps going on about how she thinks you love her and she won't stop talking about how her entire wardrobe matches you" I tease. "Your family is full of women who are a pain in my ass" Quilo sighs, "you are among the worst of them". I scowl at him, and he glares at me straight back. "My father was furious after... that night. Not only did you interrupt him twice, which by the way is something no one has ever done, but you also threatened his crown. Then like an idiot you walked away and laughed when you were told to come back. He wanted you dead. He nearly went through with it but I guess he realised it would cause too many questions with the upcoming union if you wound up dead. Perhaps after your little show at the ball, he changed his mind. I didn't recognise your attackers though, I doubt he would've sent a group of humans to kill you" Quilo explained reluctantly. Needing time to process all of that I ask "where did the whole dress thing come from anyway?" "It's got nothing to do with you, I'm not required to answer every stupid question you have" he grumbles. "Surely he wouldn't kill me though... he must know my father wouldn't be too happy about it," I think out loud. But my father most likely wouldn't care, perhaps he'd even help cover it up. Quilo gave me a knowing look, fine, I guess I got all the answers I was going to from the arrogant prick.