(29) Two Birds, One Stone

"A warm welcome to our newest dancer, Eliana!", Roses's voice boomed over the audience as she introduced me to the room. Oh, I'd really fucked up. I mean I'd had dance lessons, I knew what put on a good show... but could I really dance in front of all of these people? The crowd erupted into cheers and soft whistles, followed by a chorus of "take it off!" Rose exited the stage giving me what I think she thought was a reassuring smile. My hands shook as I studied the large open space. The light was blinding enough that I couldn't make out any faces, no flash of white hair in sight. One silhouette caught my attention, it sat on a large round sofa with a table in the middle. Several figures sat on either side of them, on their lap.

Whispers to my left caught my attention and I glanced over to where the red curtain that led into the changing room was. Several figures stood laughing and giggling, all wearing identical robes to the one I wore. I could briefly make out Vass who leant into one of the other girls with her attention fully fixed on me a giggled, "she might be pretty but there's no way she can dance as good as me. Look at her, she looks as though she might wet herself!" A chorus of laughs exploded and I glared down at them, rage funnelling through me.

Why don't you let me go a little Anala? Let's show them, you've nothing to lose anyway. That voice full of wrathful desire slithered into my mind. It was right and it was also my voice, if I couldn't trust myself what was I even doing? It was true, I had absolutely nothing to lose. Why shouldn't I enjoy my last night alive? Then I wondered how Quilo was going to kill me, a dagger through the chest? Decapitation? Poison? Had he already poisoned me? Perhaps it was in the chocolate cake. Maybe he'd carve my skin from my flesh and I'd scream. Murmurs sounded from the crowd. I squared my shoulders, tossed a taunting little smirk over my shoulders at Vass and her gaggle of followers before raising my hands into the air. good. The crowd murmured again, some shouting and I heard the gentle clink of coins being exchanged.

The music began, slow and taunting. I let go of what I had to do tonight, let go of the worries that I may not have a tomorrow. I became the music, trailing my left hand slowly down my right arm, I was soft and seductive and desired. The sounds picked up and I flung my head back, trailing my arms as I spun. the whispers to my left ceased and I smiled, I knew they still watched because I could feel their gazes on me. Feel their anger and shock. The music swirled and then peaked, I finally undid the ribbon at my middle holding the robe together. It fell to the floor, sliding down my skin and pooling in a puddle of red on the floor. Shouts and gasps sounded, more coins clinked. Most of my scars would be hidden by my outfit, the ones that weren't couldn't be seen if I got too close to anyone in the dimly lit room. It felt freeing as I wrapped a hand around the pole and twirled, the cool metal biting into the sides of my legs.

The whole room's attention was on me, I could feel hungry stares pricking against my senses. the silhouette of the person on the sofa seemed especially interested, his fingers no longer trailed down the other silhouettes' arms and legs. Climbing to the top of the pole gave me a rush of adrenaline as I looked out over the room. I was way higher than Vassa had gone and not to sound cocky, I knew my dancing was far better too. The silver ribbon at my throat snagged on my arm as I twirled it behind me and I gasped, back arching as the scratchy surface rubbed against Quilo's bite. More coins clinked and I realised that the audience had thought that move had been intentional. The song was about to end and an idea formed in my mind. I climbed to the highest point on the tall pole and then stopped, waiting for the perfect pause in the music. Then I released the grip I held, my body violently twirled around as I dropped to the ground. Shouts rung out then stopped as I grasped onto the pole before my back hit the ground. Friction burned my hands and ankles but I ignored it as I arched and flailed a delicate hand behind my head. The crowd was utterly silent I panted, trying to steady my breath. Then it erupted into cheers and shouts, claps and laughs. Even the silhouette on the sofa stood, much to the annoyance of those around them. I slowly exited the stage and stood before Vass  and the rest, all of them completely silent. I smirked "I think you dropped something", before shutting her dropped jaw with a flick of my wrist.