(33) What Goes Around Comes Around

"Hello, Eliana" a deep voice crooned. It sounded distant, like there was a world of mist and fog between that voice and me. I had the faint feeling of something cold biting into my wrists and ankles as I tried to figure out my senses. My head hurt, a steady thrumming that made me wince. I didn't think I was bleeding... there were no cuts anywhere I could tell at least. Warm air darted across my eyelids like... like someone was blowing on my face. My eyes peeled open, horror drenched me far more thoroughly than any downpour had.

I was in a grand room, I think it might have even been in the same house that the party was in. That didn't make sense though... there was no laughter echoing through the halls. There was no dazzling music that made my heart pound faster with each passing note. The walls were a faint shade of cream that reminded me of a drink I'd had once. Rosie had made it for me, apparently, it was some sort of coconutty, fruit alcohol mix. I'd drank eight of them and Rosie had laughed herself horse when I'd been half delirious and unable to walk through the castle. Apparently, I'd then proceeded to throw up over a courtier's pristine white dress, I didn't remember that happening though.

There were panels of intricate moulding that clung to the walls. Shaped in swirls of vines and various animals. I followed the vines that travelled around the room, noting how even the veins in the leaves had been carefully carved. Quilo had done that for me once, he had drawn that beautiful picture of the willow tree and buttercups on the hill. Despite everything, I still loved it. The fact that someone had taken the time to draw me anything was astonishing to me, he'd even carefully wrapped it. I still wore the silver knotted ribbon around my wrist. What I couldn't wrap my head around however was the fact that Quilo had drawn and painted that beautiful image. How could someone so cold and dark create something so perfect? So full of life and promise? I didn't understand it.

My eyes continued to trace the swirls and twirls of the vines until they fell upon a beautiful side table. That too had those intricate designs carved into the wood. Atop it sat a large vase of fresh flowers, I wondered if they had a garden of blooms that were specifically grown for such things. Feeling returned to my body and I realised that that cold biting feeling around my ankles and wrists was not the comforting kiss of the wind. They were chains, heavy and cold and... oh gods. They were keeping me stuck here... I could not move. Any thoughts of tasty drinks and flower gardens vanished as someone coughed to my right.

My head swung in that direction, towards the figure that lounged on a chair of red velvet. "Oh don't look so miserable darling, the fun is just beginning" The Trove Master chuckled. I rattled at my chains, panic and what I could've sworn was fear iced over me. I realised then that I wasn't even touching the floor, my arms had been suspended from the ceiling. My muscles burned as I again tugged at those chains that pulled my arms and legs wide. Oliver tsked, "don't waste your strength. You're not getting out of those unless someone helps you." I could tell from his grin that that was not going to happen anytime soon.

Cool air bit at my skin and I realised that my dress had gone, I now only wore my lacy underthings. He was the owner of The Vaults, after all, it's not like he hadn't seen it all before. "So I had a rather interesting day the other day" He continued, taking a sip from a tall glass containing red liquid. I fought the urge to tell him I really did not give a flying fuck about how his day had gone. Instead, I focused on trying to figure out how I was going to get out of here. rattling my arms I realised that he spoke true, these chains had been bolted to the floor and ceiling with metal hooks. Owen sighed, "here I was minding my own business enjoying a lovely young lady." My lip curled and he laughed, "when all of a sudden I'm interrupted by a guard shouting something about the safe being opened." I stilled, he knew. Gods Owen knew and he was going to kill me for it.

Seven guards stood by the door, I could take them. But these damn chains.... perhaps I could convince one of them to undo them for me. All they had to do was slide the bolts on the four links. I was pretty enough right? or I could tell them who I was. Yeah, I could do that. I'd either demand they release me or feel the wrath of the crown. That was an obvious bluff though, they must know that the kings were safely tucked away in their castles far away from here. "imagine my shock when I discovered that my book had been stolen. The very book that handsome young chap Erwin had been asking about."