(36) Oh How the Tables Turn

We had been sitting like that for a while, recovering from the days before. Now I was again tucked into bed, Quilo reading in the armchair next to me. Night had fallen over the land of Crevah. I could hear the soft sound of music drifting up from the street below, likely from a nearby restaurant that was closing for the night. It was strange, the subtle differences, how everything just seemed softer. Snow no longer fell here, no longer coated the streets in a blanket of white. Did it still fall in Vauxhaven? Covering the rooves of the city and tall towers of the castle? James had always hated the snow. Because if snow fell it meant his guards were always stiff and cold, which meant they were always grumpy during training. He'd once told me that when they got particularly bitter he would throw a snowball at them for a bit of fun, that had stopped when they started throwing them back and it erupted into a grand snowball battle. James had decided he really hated the snow when his uniform had been soaked through after the fight.

I'd had a look out of the window earlier when it had still been light and found that we were indeed in the heart of a small town. A few small buildings surrounded us, and based on the delicious smells that drifted to me, I presumed they were restaurants and cafes. I hoped we'd get a chance to go and explore slightly, perhaps even do a little shopping. However, I understood that Quilo may never be able to do that again, no matter how much he needed to face his past. What he'd told me yesterday had absolutely shocked me, how utterly dreadful his father truly was. It made a startling amount of sense and explained so much about him, about what he'd been like before all of this... mess. I'd never considered the fact that perhaps he hated me not because he thought I was immature, but perhaps it was deeper than that. All of those times he'd threatened me and taunted me I'd just brushed it off as him being an asshole prince. But maybe, in his own way, he'd been looking out for me for all of those years. I snorted, shaking my head at the idea of something so ridiculous.

I'd been asleep for three days which meant... "when's the next ball?" Quilo looked up at me, eyes assessing as he thought over my question. Did he not want me to go? "It's tomorrow evening but we really don't have to go if you're not up to it." I frowned, tomorrow? This was likely going to be the last ball I'd ever get a chance to attend and be able to make all of my own decisions. Once we returned to the castle it'd go back to mother deciding what I wore, whether I attended and even who I spoke to. "I... I want to go", I decided. He frowned, closing his book with a soft thud and setting it to one side. "Are you sure? your injuries were really bad Anala." I mean I felt fine, just a little sore in a few places. It wasn't anything a good night's sleep and some wine wouldn't fix. There had to be some sort of shop that sold clothes nearby... we could just go into the town. Oh, the town. "If you don't want to go shopping I could go on my own and get you something too" I offered, remembering what he had said about this place. Quilo's eyes glittered with gratitude, "it's okay, I wouldn't want you to pick me out something ugly." I snorted, we both knew that was never going to happen. He opened his book again, "we can go into town tomorrow morning. If I remember correctly there's a good shop not too far from here." I nodded, a glimmer of excitement forming as I realised I got to explore a little of this new place.

Did flowers really grow along the streets? Quilo had mentioned that they did but perhaps after everything happened with his sister no one visited to care for them anymore. I still couldn't believe that. Quill had a sister. Not in any of the conversations I'd heard, any of the texts id read had anyone ever mentioned Quilo wasn't an only child. I wondered what she was like, did she have silver hair like Quilo? What were her hobbies? Was she good at fighting? Did she get on well with her father? I doubted it, considering what he'd asked her to do and what she'd been forced to do so that she didn't have to. Did Quilo like his father? I thought that unlikely too, not when he'd basically been the reason for the death of everyone he loved. Well, I presumed it had been the death of everyone he loved... or had it? I know Quilo had those secret missions where he was asked to do the unthinkable but perhaps there was still someone who had his heart, or at least his trust. Despite my best attempts, the question still managed to escape, "do you have a girlfriend?" My cheeks heated, most likely to a colour that resembled a tomato, and I inwardly facepalmed myself for asking such an outright question. Quilo's attention snapped to me, a smirk playing on his lips. "Why, are you jealous Lil Red?" I scowled at him, tucking myself further under my sheets and then hiding my face behind my own book. "No", but a little pang of something was there when I considered the possibility that there was someone waiting at home for him. Someone who was likely beautiful and elegant and charming. I turned the glare to myself then. "Liar" Quilo purred, his smirk widening into a grin.