(42) A Burning Passion

Quilo was currently treading a path into the rug at the end of the bed. It was strange seeing him so on edge as he paced, flexing his hands at his sides. I on the other hand felt calm. I knew my fate, I was going to die. I'd known it all along and now It had finally caught up with me. It had always either been we'd return the object and I would be killed, I'd be killed retrieving the object or I would return empty-handed and be killed for that. I was glad that I'd no longer be trapped inside those castle walls, forced to watch as my family tore apart Crevah. I felt a little pang of sadness as I realised I wouldn't get to explore as I'd always dreamed of. Rosie would be on her own too, I'd need to try and help her get out before my execution.

What made my stomach lurch however was the thought of what they'd do to Quilo. He'd have to go back to those missions at the king's request and be forced... I clenched my jaw. I'd find a way to help him too before my death. I'm sure there was something else I could offer his father, perhaps another piece of my torn soul.

I now sat with my back pressed against the wooden headboard of my bed. As I ran my hands through the soft sheets I realised that the sun had now dipped below the horizon, casting the room in a faint orange glow. Birds chittered outside, tress whispered and sighed, laughter echoed from the streets below. We'd stumbled upon this small cottage after deciding it was best to ensure we had somewhere to stay tonight and inevitably figure out what our next steps were. I'd be content to stay here forever if it wasn't for the threat of my looming death. The other issue is, "Quilo please stop that." To his credit Quilo did stop, his attention swung to me. He glared but sighed, his shoulders curling inwards. I hated seeing him look so miserable.

"What's wrong?" I asked, even though I clearly knew the answer. Quilo laughed and not pleasantly, "What's wrong? What's wrong? What's wrong is I have no fucking clue what to do Anala!" I stiffened, narrowing my eyes at his tone. Quilo always knew what to do and it was unnerving to hear him say he was unsure. Of course, he had every right to be stressed, but it still hurt when he yelled at me. "It's okay, we'll figure it out" I ventured, doing my best to keep the bite out of my tone. Quilo laughed again, "oh yes, I'm sure this grand plan will solve all of our problems. Tell me Anala, what is your plan?" I blinked at him, my mouth opening and closing as I tried to come up with a suitable answer. Quilo sneered when he realised there wasn't one.

I exploded "we'll have to go back to the castle and talk to the kings. I'm sure we can work something out." I wasn't sure because I knew there would be no coming back from this. He spun, bending over and placing his palms flat on the end of the bed. Quilo's eyes locked with mine, "no." Quilo's chest rose and fell rapidly and he... Quilo shook. "It's a death trap Anala, you know that." I glanced down, it was a death trap for me, he would be fine, he had a chance. That's all that mattered. "So?" I asked, "they won't kill you." He snarled, bunching the sheets in his fists as he looked at me. "No Anala, they won't kill me. But they will kill you or they will lock you away in that castle and I'll never see you again." I could've sworn the room plummeted in temperature as the words left him. He was still shaking, his eyes wide and panicked. "Why does that matter?" I whispered. I saw the exact moment the words met his ears, his entire face dropped. His shoulders stiffened, his muscles tensed and his eyes closed. Quilo took a deep breath, then another as if he were trying to control himself. It didn't work.

He shot upright, fury and a terrifying amount of hurt flashing across his features as he looked at me. "It matters" Quilo snarled, "because if you are not at my side then I might as well be dead too. It matters because... because I fucking love you!" Silence. Absolute silence filled the room as his words registered. Oh. my. Gods. I was about to reply, even though I wasn't sure what I'd say when it happened. It started off as a warm tingle at the top of my head like a cat had curled asleep on my hair. Then it spread, travelling throughout my entire body. I wasn't sure whether it was this it or whether it was just because I was nervous. My pulse hammered, pounding in my ears. I felt adrenaline like nothing I'd ever felt before sharpen my senses. I felt the tips of my fangs push into my lips.